lobsters / crayfish special lights ?

emperor scorpion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2012
uae,sharjah
Hi , how are you all :) ?

i been told that crayfish or lobsters need special lighting or sunlight

is that true and please tell me the source of your answer :) ?

Thanks

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Never heard that. They may need more calcium in their diet and higher ph but nothing to do with lights that ive heard of

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
False. They live in the same environment as fish and there are no special lights.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Organisms like humans require vitamin D3, mainly derived from sunlight, to be able to absorb calcium for bone and teeth strengthening/growth. Crayfish use a different mechanism of hormone use to form calcium gastroliths (stomach or gizzard stones) to concentrate calcium to both destabilize their old carapace and form their new carapace after molting. Specialized lighting is not needed for this method of calcium regulation.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
They do benefit from marine Iodine added to thier tank once a week but I never needed special lights when I was breeding them.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Organisms like humans require vitamin D3, mainly derived from sunlight, to be able to absorb calcium for bone and teeth strengthening/growth. Crayfish use a different mechanism of hormone use to form calcium gastroliths (stomach or gizzard stones) to concentrate calcium to both destabilize their old carapace and form their new carapace after molting. Specialized lighting is not needed for this method of calcium regulation.
Oddball just dropped some serious knowledge on us.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store