Grinch and Bichir Girl's Fish Room

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Girlfriend and I moved from the Midwest to the East Coast about a year ago. Bichir-girl wanted to buy a house so we could just move in. So, while I worked and held down the fort in the Midwest, she and her mother found a house. We wanted to do a fish room in the new house, so having an appropriate basement or other room to devote to fish was a must in the search. Now, I should note that my role in the fish-relationship is to make the fish tanks work and everything look nice. That means the Bichir-Girl doesn't think out everything it takes to make a fish room work. So, she came back home with the perfect house picked out, she and her mother loved it, but couldn't tell me anything about the plumbing, drainage, or electric in the basement :cry::cry:Come-on... lets figure out the important stuff ladies!! :screwy:

So, jump ahead to last summer... time to move across half the country over two days, with fish, setup a fish room on the second day of the move, and just hope there's an electrical outlet to plug in to. Fish and house-plants in the back of the truck, tanks in a u-haul towed by the truck, dogs in the front with me.... off we go to meet up with Bichir-Girl in NJ! Lost power on the battery operated pumps overnight in a torrential downpour woke up on the start of the second day with a bunch of dead/hypoxic fish. Overall, lost about 1/3 of what we tried to transport :(.

Upon arriving in New Jersey at our new place I found a chest-high drain, a washing machine hook-up and one power outlet in the new fish room. No time for good solutions... we need solutions in a hurry. A quick trip to Home Depot and here's what I came up with.

Split the cold-water from the washing machine and ran it across the basement ceiling and into the fish room with a potable water hose

Put two new trashcans under the stairs to mix water with. White hose is cold supply. Green on left if hose to the drain. I mounted a transfer pump on the wall (on the right) here and used it to pull mixed-water out of the trashcans and push it out to the tanks. A quick switch-around of the hoses and could pull water out of the fish tanks with the pump and send that water to the drain. I had initially intended to use a big submersible pump to send water to the garden, but my pump shorted out and I was stuck with what home-depot had in a pinch.

For the drain, I had to cut down the stand-pipe, and put in a wider extension to fit the drain hose from the fish room as well as the existing drain hoses from the HVAC and washing machine.

We got through the night with a couple tanks setup and some fish still in the coolers. The next day I built a stand and setup a few more tanks so that everyone was out of the coolers. We were still in a bad spot though... if you look carefully at the picture, you'll see some VERY odd tank mates. Ever kept a 13" bichir, 7" feather-fin cat, 5" severum, 5" Mbuna, and a bonded pair of festivum in a 45 gallon tank? How about 20 mixed-juvenile African cichlids with angelfish and tetras in a 56?

I sealed up the wall around about 1/2 of the fish room with dry-lock and hydraulic cement. This was actually a lot of work, but it did come out really nice. I then built another stand and got two of our larger tanks up and running. We then started budgeting/saving to get some proper electrical and plumbing figured out. Five tanks from 30 gallons up to 90 gallons running off of one outlet at this point... not good :irked:

Fall brought with it budget-draining surprises. Bichir Girl has still not forgiven them for messing up one of her gardens :naughty:. In all seriousness though, they did do a bunch of damage to our driveway which continues to drain the fish-room budget :(

In the meantime, I found a fella with a storage locker full of fish tanks in DE, so I drove down and filled up the truck with as much as I could carry. Ended up with 5 full setups plus a 110 gallon rr tank for cheap. I then proceeded to flip those tanks over the course of the fall and into the winter in order to fund the fish room.

I went to Ohio on business in January. I was passing through an area where I knew a bunch of LFS's were, so I used the flip-profits on a box of fish to surprise Bichir Girl with. She had no idea what I was up to, so it was a big surprise for her.

Found another fella suffering from MTS and looking to get clean... so I cleaned him out. Plan isn't to flip these... gonna use them!

Finally, in March we got the electric and plumbing figured out. We ended up delaying a little bit to save up and do some other electric and plumbing elsewhere in the house at the same time... cheaper that way in the long run. At any rate, the plumbing is somewhat unique. We installed a utility basin next to the water-mixing trashcans. The sink drains into a commercial sump pump. It has a head height of like 45' with a 2" pipe... it's BEEFY. Running full bore with hot and cold water on and water coming in from water changes causes the pump to kick on about three times per minute and it runs for about three seconds every time it kicks on.

I'm healing up from surgery right now, but once I'm more mobile the next step is to finish sealing up the walls, build another custom stand, and start getting all the tanks we've been hoarding into place.... we've got way more gallons dry than wet right now :drool:

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Damn. Sorry for your losses but it seems like you're getting everything figured out. I can't imagine moving that much across 2 states. I probably would've either sold them and started fresh until everything was situated or had a friend babysit them then when I was ready, have them overnight them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mojorisin138

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Idaho
This is an awesome post! I'd like to see more pics of the fish room :D Moving my tanks, especially to a different state, seems impossible and gives me an anxiety attack! That must have been a lot of work. Good job!

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
[URL="http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/member.php?104730-Aw3s0m3" said:
Aw3s0m3[/URL]] Damn. Sorry for your losses but it seems like you're getting everything figured out. I can't imagine moving that much across 2 states. I probably would've either sold them and started fresh until everything was situated or had a friend babysit them then when I was ready, have them overnight them.
Bichir girl did something like that when she moved from KS to MO a couple of years ago. She had her fish living in buckets in a friends living room for a week. I am a firm believer in only taking your prize fish on the road and selling the rest. Bichir Girl is not of the same opinion LOL. I only lost two fish that were "mine". She lost a many more. And even then, we had sold and given away a lot of fish to friends and folks in the local club before we packed it up and left.

This is an awesome post! I'd like to see more pics of the fish room :D Moving my tanks, especially to a different state, seems impossible and gives me an anxiety attack! That must have been a lot of work. Good job!
I snapped a few pics just now... nothing special though. I'm not mobile enough to put any effort into it right now LOL.

Venni pike that is wondering when I'm going to let him into his new tank.

Snap-shot of our African Tank... mostly Malawi, a few Tangs, and a whole mess of plecos and wood. The wood is in there mainly so that we don't lose the bacteria on them... we've got lots of rocks ready to go into the tank once we get the wood out into other tanks.

Five MFK points to the first person who can correctly name the two SA cichlids in the picture. Bonus 10 if you can name the female Tang on the poking out of the hole on the left.

Reactions: Santa Fe Discus

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Here are some pictures that we put a little more effort in to... all fish that successfully made the trip with us.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Seems I saw these pictures and heard this whole story before. :woot:

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You're just getting premonistic as you get older ;)
There you go using big fancy words again. Glad things are going good for you up there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store