Redtail Catfish

Tinaamy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2014
South Africa
Hello..

I keep a 520L tank with 2x Oscars, 2x Plecos and 1x Bala Shark. I was interested in adding an Arowana but the one I could get is quite large already and my one Oscar is the boss so I don't want to cause problems for any of the fish. The next fish I looked at is the redtail catfish. I can get one at 5-6cm so I'm just looking for some advice. I know they get big and I've read up on the diet but until he gets big would he be OK in a tank my size and with the fish I have? Thank you.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Hello..

I keep a 520L tank with 2x Oscars, 2x Plecos and 1x Bala Shark. I was interested in adding an Arowana but the one I could get is quite large already and my one Oscar is the boss so I don't want to cause problems for any of the fish. The next fish I looked at is the redtail catfish. I can get one at 5-6cm so I'm just looking for some advice. I know they get big and I've read up on the diet but until he gets big would he be OK in a tank my size and with the fish I have? Thank you.
They get huge, but you stated you already know that. Your tank is 135 gallons, so if the RTC is 5-6 cm or around 2-2.25 inches...your current tank size would be large enough for an RTC of that size. But in 12-18 months you will need to have a pond or a much bigger tank. However, as far as your question of "will it be ok with the fish that you have"...depends on how big your Oscars are. A 6 inch oscar would probably try and swallow a 2 inch RTC...If your Oscars are the same size as the RTC, then the fish should be ok with each other UNTIL they grow out the tank.

baji

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
Chennai, India
Setup another 50 gallon tank or non toxic container, and put the new rtc in there and feed him NICELY... after a month u can shift the rtc to ur tank without any problen... but keep an eye on tat feeder oscar and other feeder fish in ur tank, coz rtc will eat everything even half of its size...

baji...

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
The rtc will grow faster than any fish in there. And will eat them when it does. If Its a small bala then you can be sure it will be lunch soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store