Bichir info help

madjester101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2012
Amarillo TX
I wonder if anyone has experienced this before so ive raised bichir before. When I noticed my LFS had gotten in a gorgeous ornate and delhezi I bought them on the spot. Now my ornate has almost doubled in size and the delhezi has shown no growth at all. I know there both eating and ive taken care to make sure delhezi gets first dibs and plenty. Im feeding frozen brine shrimp and live ghost shrimp as there still small. Just starting to worry something is wrong. Water test fine and I do weekly cleaning and 25 percent water change. Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
How long ago and what were the sizes when you bought them and what are the sizes now? Ornates are naturally faster growers when they are young compared to other so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would probably try and vary the diet a little more like throwing in some bloodworms, and cut up pellets. Other than that I don't see anything wrong with the delhezi's growth compared to the ornates.

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
Do 50% wc once a week ;). Feed them once every two days, set the temp around 82-86 is what I'm doing ;). They grow perfectly fine. And it's also depends on what you feed them. Give them variety food that you can find ;). I feed mine smelts, tilapia, shrimp, pellets and stuff! And you'll need to upgrade your tank and separate the del from the ornate cause the ornate will be huge!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I wouldn't be too worried. Dels are fairly slow growers and Ornates are like weeds until they get over 12". As long as the del is still healthy and active he will be fine. You may need to desperate them though as the ornate will probably get large enough to eat the del quite quickly.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I have hear ppl say that the dels are the slowest growing bichir ..... If it makes u feel any better iv had my del for 3 years man I bought it when it was bout 1" and it just hit 7" ...... Slowest growing thing iv ever seen considering my old Senegal I bought at the same time and size grew to 10" in 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How long ago and what were the sizes when you bought them and what are the sizes now? Ornates are naturally faster growers when they are young compared to other so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would probably try and vary the diet a little more like throwing in some bloodworms, and cut up pellets. Other than that I don't see anything wrong with the delhezi's growth compared to the ornates.
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store