Thoughts on this for a potential tank filter?

TheeEmotionalPayara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2013
Chicago
I was able to get my hands on this sand filter that was on 32 foot wide 5 foot deep pool. It has some wear and tear and needs some pieces and parts replaced. I was wondering if anybody had some thoughts about the prospects of hooking this big boy up to a monster tank or indoor pond. Has anybody used a filter such as this and 20140518_122434.jpghad success (it is a SwimPro)? Just looking for some feedback. Was able to get it for free so if it isn't a viable option its no biggie.

20140518_122434.jpg

Rome

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2012
Santa Barbara
Would need a huge tank because of the current of the pump. Should just hold a lot of bacteria in the pool filter media.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
How big of tank or pond would you say would be big enough to handle the pump?
It would be helpful to know the filter model number and any info on the accompanying pump.

AROS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2013
Derry, NH
That filter is gonna put out a ton of water at a massive flow rate. It would be an awesome filter if you could break up the out put. I think you would need multiple hoses off the out put to break up the flow just not sure how many.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheeEmotionalPayara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2013
Chicago
The filter is a SwimPro Model #: SW256T and holds 250lbs of sand for filter media.
The pump is an A.O. Smith Model # 848C51Z03.

My buddy just bought a house and scrapped the above ground pool that was in the backyard. I snagged the filter for down the line when I build my dream tank/pond. Figured it was worth a shot, ya know?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Pool pumps are power hogs. Sand filters will clog to quickly based on my research and you will empty your tank backflushing. There is filter media designed for this type of filter that would work better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store