Considering a Hystrix what do you think?

DREWSMITH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
South Riding, VA
Ok I realized I posted this in the media section should have been here instead.

I have a 150 bow front. I have an fx5 on it already. It is 6 x 18 on the ends and 24 at the bow. Approx 24" tall. I was considering sticking a hystrix single or pair in here. I have two small canisters I could throw on if I need more filtration. It has pothos and day lilies growing on it already. I was also considering a sulfur reactor. Could I do the ray or rays with tankmates? Yall are the experts. Let me know what you think. View attachment 1013261

Here is a picture of the tank.

Drew

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Remove all the rock. Have the bottom completely open. You have too much stuff in the tank for rays. I don't know if I would do a pair but you might be able to. And no on the sulfur reactor.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

DREWSMITH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
South Riding, VA
Yeah all of the rock will be pulled out for sure. Why no to the reactor? I won't do it just wondering why not. Would a single specimen be better off? I'm not bent on a pair just a healthy ray for starters. I will move on to bigger stuff eventually I'm sure. Is the fx5 enough? Or do I need more filtration just to be safe?

Drew

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
Remove all the rock. Have the bottom completely open. You have too much stuff in the tank for rays. I don't know if I would do a pair but you might be able to. And no on the sulfur reactor.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
X2, the rays need the entire bottom for it to be a possability.

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
Your filtration upgrade will depend on how often you want to do water changes. I have 4 filters on my set-up, and I still do 40-50% water changes every week! they are filthy buggers!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
yes remove the rocks. eventually Will be cramped for a pair. if you get a hystrix, make sure it is the real deal.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
free space, filtration upgrade, and you'd wanna look at rehoming them as they reach adulthood. you're looking at 12-14" on average for just disc, not including the tail. that doesn't leave alot of tank width for them. footprint is key for rays, moreso than height.

DREWSMITH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
South Riding, VA
Thanks for the replies everyone. Space is a bit tight under the stand. I may be better off sticking a single fx5 in addition to the fx5 I have already versus the 2 smaller 404's that I have needing to be pieced together. I try to keep nitrates down on my tanks already but what are the dangerous levels to a ray?

How long would a 6" disc ray have in these accommodations? 1 year? I have several 220 gallon tanks in my fish room. Just wondering how long before I need to move them.

Drew

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
It would work... clear the bottom. Add more filtration. Fx5s are not the greatest bio filters out there. If you are determined to stay canister add an Ehiem 2262 you can have way more bio media in that then in an fx5. Biggest mistake i see is underestimating the amount of ammonia produced by a ray then other fish. They process waste differently so it does not allow the filtration to catch up. BTW I would also be sure to get a male as they will stay smaller.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store