thiaminaise in store smelt?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
hello MFK

I have a question. Does smelt (the kind in the asian markets) contain thiaminaise? I found a great list on here but I noticed two smelt species were on it. One in both sections, with and without it. I don't know which species your average store smelt is so I'm unsure if it contains this.

Does anyone know for certain?

Thanks.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Most times its rainbow smelt that gets sold in stores.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Oddball I'll post a pic up tonight. I buy them in AZ and in WA to feed my fishes at my homes. Both look the same. Neither store can tell me what species they are, they may know but maybe they don't understand me. I'm shutting down my AZ tanks soon because I'll be in WA most of the summer and I'm tired of paying house sitters. So most concerned about this Asian market source.

I read that if I rotate pellets and foods containing thiamine, it can cancel out the thiaminaise. Any truth to that?

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Would you suggest removing it from the diet entirely?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Old thread but they are indeed Rainbow smelt Thank you mnrebel. I have added cod and halibut to the diet along with tilapia Thanks for the suggestions oddball. Still feeding smelt once weekly because I think whole fish with bones and organs is important. Thanks for the help MFK.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Supplement B1 with a vitamin pre-soak such as Boyd Vitachem and what type of smelt etc that you feed becomes a non issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store