The Hobby Was More Fun When I Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
I feel like the hobby was the most fun when only had my community tank. I would go on youtube and see amazing fish like a redtail catfish and just DREAM of owning one one day! It was so much fun just using my imagination and hopeing i could someday keep those fish. But now that i actually have these fish it is no fun. The excitement is just gone. Anybody else feel this way?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
I get you guy, it's like that whole never meet your hero thing, the dream is always better than reality, cause in the dream you don't have to worry about fish illness, maintanence or cost. But for me it was a nice indo dat, and when I got one it was great and I never got bored of him. But he wasn't a rtc or anything massive and difficult to care for, so I could actually enjoy him and the hobby, it didn't become a tedious task to care for him.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xharold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2014
Scarborough
I feel you. Everyone has a dream about their hobby. I started when I was 12 and now I'm turning 19 and I finally stepped up to a 120Gal tank. Eventually I'm going to own a 180 or a 220 and keep an arowana for once.

cyberhog05

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2009
Western Montucky
I've been in this hobby since I was 12 with a break here and there and I'll be 36 next month. Wish lists for me will never be fulfilled. Having different tanks to house different species is key for me, reading and researching fish I want and even can't have keep things interesting. Climbing river banks with my kids looking for that perfect rock or driftwood is always good times. Rescaping my tanks, growing out fish from fry, making my own fish food, educating my kids and others on tanks, fish and proper care is full filling. Learning how to build tanks, diy projects...... Lots of things to do other than just feed fish, clean tanks. I like to know everything I can about my fish so when ppl ask I have answers.

Signature

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I got my first aquarium in 1970 for xmas. There is always something new to dream about, an unobtainable fish or an even bigger aquarium. I figure in another ten years I will start slowly downsizing, but there will always be something I haven't done to look forward to, This hobby is what we make of it.

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
there is always other way of enjoying fishkeeping , like catching your own fish ,keeping rare not described yet species ,exploring different rivers and streams observing biotopes and trying to recreate them in an aquarium ,doing different biotope type aquarium , combining fishing and fishkeeping , catching fish on hooks and line and trying to keep them in an aquarium .

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
a friend once said to me "nothing is as cool in real life as it is in your head" This guy is very very well off but you would never know it looking at him. He lives a very simple life. I think he is right. No matter what I am obsessing about a new fish, car, bike, gear for my other sports I am never satisfied. Once I get what I want I start dreaming about something else.

I actually just told my wife last week I am not buying anymore new fish unless everything I own dies. I am just see how good I can grow the ones I have.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I always wanted monsters until I had them. The whole massive mean fish thing got boring relatively quick and ive gone back to more peaceful small fish. I enjoy being able to relax and watch my fish interact in a way that isnt aggressive or stressful. Maybe time for a change back to a community of some sort? Planted tanks have reignited my interest in the hobby

AbangLongDil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Singapore
Yes man, i always had that feeling. For starters, I can honestly say i enjoyed the process seeing my dear giant snakehead grow from a teeny little fry into a big black monster. But then, i just felt that the excitement of watching something grow is gone. Yes, he grew into what i wanted. But the feeling is kinda bland. Its like when u completed a jigsaw puzzle. Plus i cant really do much with him at the moment like sell him coz ya know, most monsters dont actually fetch a good price tag. But all in all, i just have this feeling of wanting more. Only money and space is my main issue.

How i wish my snakehead could be like a cat; able to walk on land and be that proper pet ot should be :(

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AbangLongDil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Singapore
I always wanted monsters until I had them. The whole massive mean fish thing got boring relatively quick and ive gone back to more peaceful small fish. I enjoy being able to relax and watch my fish interact in a way that isnt aggressive or stressful. Maybe time for a change back to a community of some sort? Planted tanks have reignited my interest in the hobby
This. I exactly feel like this. I somehow just felt smaller peaceful fish are much more soothing to the eye lol

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store