Pacu question

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
He may have swam into the glass.. they do this quite often when they get so big and don't have the room to race through the water.. mine would play hardy sometimes....

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
He may have swam into the glass.. they do this quite often when they get so big and don't have the room to race through the water.. mine would play hardy sometimes....
He's in a big pond:/ the gar never stressed him out before.. But i dunno, probably? Sorry for the crappy pic.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1400505769.994567.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
He's in a big pond:/ the gar never stressed him out before.. But i dunno, probably? Sorry for the crappy pic.

View attachment 1013337

thats great that he is in a big pond.. but they can still swim freely and get too excited and wound up and crash......pacus are happy fun fish.And i don't think they realize that they are so big.. gentle giants...

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Is the lip torn off? Anything sharp the pacu can slam into is a potential source for injuries. One of our fish slammed into a tank lid that was askew and managed to slice off his lower lip. The lip was hanging by a thread of tissue at one corner of his mouth so had to be removed.

Incredibly, the lower lip regenerated, and his teeth are no longer visible. The lip is not as full as before his injury, but at least he doesn't have a zombie look now.

Before the injury

I think the only way to ensure that pacus don't injure themselves is to put them in a padded cell. They seem to have very active, vivid imaginations and freak out at imagined threats on a regular basis. Big fellows that they are, ours are always slamming into tank lids and walls. Scares me if I'm in the room because it sounds like an explosion that results in water on the floor 8 feet away.

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
if its just a trauma wound , it will heal fast , fish have fast healing abilities , just keep an eye for if it get infected .

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Is the lip torn off? Anything sharp the pacu can slam into is a potential source for injuries. One of our fish slammed into a tank lid that was askew and managed to slice off his lower lip. The lip was hanging by a thread of tissue at one corner of his mouth so had to be removed.

Incredibly, the lower lip regenerated, and his teeth are no longer visible. The lip is not as full as before his injury, but at least he doesn't have a zombie look now.

Before the injury

I think the only way to ensure that pacus don't injure themselves is to put them in a padded cell. They seem to have very active, vivid imaginations and freak out at imagined threats on a regular basis. Big fellows that they are, ours are always slamming into tank lids and walls. Scares me if I'm in the room because it sounds like an explosion that results in water on the floor 8 feet away.
I know, they are bull strong:)

Mines a few years old already but i only got this now. It looked a bit like your third pic with the lower lip protruding out even more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store