Green water driving me crazy!

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
My tank has been getting more and more green over the past couple of weeks and now I can barely see through the water! Little info, 90 gallon with two external filters, heavily planted (all plants growing great), 120 watts of T8 lighting on for 8 hours per day, no sunlight reaches the tank at all, 50% water changes weekly and then liquid ferts added, fish fed once per day.. Not sure if I've missed anything but how do I get rid of this? I have 4 other tanks and they're all crystal clear! There's no algae on any surface, just green water!

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Weird, usually algae blooms are caused by excess nutrients from over feeding or poor water change schedule. The plants should reduce this and it sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe the lights are too powerful? Add a UV tk clear it up but that wont help the cause of the problem

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
How much would a UV sterilizer cost? I think I may be about 115% stocked according to aqadvisor, could this be part of the problem?

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Maybe stop adding ferts for a little bit and see what happens.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I had the same problem couldn't shift it with wc's and chemicals , I had to borrow a UV off a mate , ran it for a month or so with lights off problem solved it went completely, I really need to invest in UV of my own not only for blooms but for nasty bacteria

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Maybe the ferts are not the correct amount or balance for the plants you are trying to feed. That plus too much light. You also haven't posted the nitrate levels (have you?) and that could be fueling the algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store