pH Questions

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been hearing that Rapps is getting some new SA cats in soon and I plan on getting one. Without saying which species I looked up the care for it in PC and Scotcat and they both say that ph for the cat should be 6.5-7.0. Only thing is, the only tank I have room for it in (my 75) has a ph of 7.6. I'd be willing to adjust if needed but how would I do so, I've tried driftwood with no luck. My other concern is if I make the ph 7.0, the water I replace during changes will still come into the tank as 7.6 and I normally change 40-50% a week so would that affect the fish or the chemistry? Would there also be any possibility I could just slowly drip acclimate the catfish to adjust it to a ph of 7.6 which would be much easier for me (the fish will be wild caught)?

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
I use crystalline Vitamin C to lower the ph in my tanks. Take it slow, because the minerals in your water will buffer the ph back up and you'll need to keep adding C slowly until you overcome the buffering ability. In a 75g I'd add 2tbs., wait 4 hrs. and retest my ph. Keep doing this until your ph reaches the desired level.

It may take a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store