Has anyone used sand they harvested from a river for there ray tank? How to clean?

Scott Evergreen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2014
Montana
Hi wanted to know before I grabbed sand after fly fishing the big hole river tomorrow if any one else has tried sand from a river in there ray tank? If so how they cleaned. thank you

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I would have thought you would need to bleach it then rinse to ensure that you kill all harmful bacteria and parasites.....don't know why you would bother when sand is cheap?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Dont think it would be worth the hassle. Id be very nervous risking rays to save a couple bucks

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I use it in my ray tank. It's actually really fine gravel, not quite sand grade. I have used sand from the river before but it was too light colored for me. The fine gravel I scooped up with an aquarium net and made the initial rinse right in the river to get most of the fines out. I then rinsed many,many times with tap water as there were still lots of fines mixed in. After it was rinsed real well, I did bleach it. then rinse again to clean the bleach out. Final step was to completely dry the gravel. never had any problems with it in my tank and have used it for several years. Lots of work, but worth it. If you can hump out the sand and don't mind cleaning it, go for it.

Scott Evergreen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2014
Montana
Thank you. Wanted to use the river sand because of the color compared to pool filter sand. Is there a brand of pool filter sand or brand of sand you recommend (rays are marbles) thanks for help I live in Montana and have to drive forever for sand I figured Mfk members best source for info thank you for help

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store