How to grow green fur Algea ?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Algal species grow under different types/spectrum of light, and different water quality parameters, so it may be that the kind of bulbs/color spectrum and/or minerals in your water are contributing to the type that grows in your tank. If nitrates are high, the type algae that grows may be less desirable.

with the above bulb, and iron rich fertilizers, the algae below grew in my 125gal below.

In another tank (a 55gal) with no artificial light, but only a few hours on indirect sunlight, the algae in the pic below, is growing on a sunken log.

I try to keep nitrate between 2-5 ppm with every other day partial water changes, and my replacement water has a total alkalinity of about 100ppm.
Both tanks are understocked, and except for fry, adults are fed only once per day.

The 125 is heavily planted, and other tanks on the same line (sump) are also heavily planted.

some other tanks on he same line grow hair algae that I harvest weekly

the above tank uses a shop light with normal 40 watt warm white bulbs, and is a bit overstocked, but on a sump with other less stocked tanks.

BIRD_MAN

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2011
La Amazona
Algal species grow under different types/spectrum of light, and different water quality parameters, so it may be that the kind of bulbs/color spectrum and/or minerals in your water are contributing to the type that grows in your tank. If nitrates are high, the type algae that grows may be less desirable.

with the above bulb, and iron rich fertilizers, the algae below grew in my 125gal below.

In another tank (a 55gal) with no artificial light, but only a few hours on indirect sunlight, the algae in the pic below, is growing on a sunken log.

I try to keep nitrate between 2-5 ppm with every other day partial water changes, and my replacement water has a total alkalinity of about 100ppm.
Both tanks are understocked, and except for fry, adults are fed only once per day.

The 125 is heavily planted, and other tanks on the same line (sump) are also heavily planted.

some other tanks on he same line grow hair algae that I harvest weekly

the above tank uses a shop light with normal 40 watt warm white bulbs, and is a bit overstocked, but on a sump with other less stocked tanks.
Awsome thanks for the info!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store