Can i have a powerhead as an overflow into wet/dry filter?

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
powerheads in my city is very cheap it's way cheaper than to build an overflow system an 800l/h powerhead only costs 350php around $8-9 i think. I am planning to build an overflow but this came across my mind. can i have the powerhead as an overflow/outflow (i dunno the right term lol) for my wet/dry filter system? :screwy:

a question for the powerhead in the filter system: can they have the same flow with the powerhead in the tank? or will the powerhead in the filter will need more flow? because i think the flow out to the tank will increase because of gravity, also the flow in to the tank will decrease because of it? i think my theory is wrong but it's better to be sure.

AROS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2013
Derry, NH
One problem with that is if the return pump stops for some reason the one in the tank will either drain your tank or run dry and catch fire. Too scary IMO

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well by using two pumps there's a lot of risk and headache leading me to say I wouldn't recommend it. A gravity overflow is surly the easiest and safest way.

Heres a diy video of the design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65yVr7DiDls
And also the diameter to gph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFk4bnIxEg

I'm in the states so pvc is dirt cheap leading to a .75 inch or a 220 gph or 800 lph costs about 4 bucks and about 30 mins of my time. About 20 mins of that time is waiting for the glue to cure haha. But matching two pumps is asking for a flood so a diy overflow is cheap and effective.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
oh i see I didn't think of that! now I'm scared to use a powerhead for the outflow of the tank lol so basically I want a .75" or 3/4" for my over flow if my powerhead runs for about 800l/h right?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Using 1 pump in the sump to send water to the tank, and using gravity to send water to the sump is the way to go.
Power heads are usually a bit too wimpy to send water up, they normally just don't have enough power to overcome the head pressure.
1/2" PVC pipe sending water from pump to the tank can work, but at least doubling pipe size (if not more) for water from overflow to the sump is usually recommended.
Even though my water line, pump to tank is 1/2", I usually use 1.5" PVC pipe tank to sump, because smaller pipe is easily plugged by plants, debris or a dead fish (or a combination of all the above) causing the tank to overflow.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
oh i see I didn't think of that! now I'm scared to use a powerhead for the outflow of the tank lol so basically I want a .75" or 3/4" for my over flow if my powerhead runs for about 800l/h right?
Yep sounds perfect! Rio power head's deliver more flow per height of foot than most pumps on the market. Their power heads can deal with tons of pressure, but most other power heads suck in terms of gph per foot of height as in head loss as duanes stated.

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
You can put the powerhead all the way to the top and see how much water will flow down of your sump pump fails , or power fail. LxHxW the powerhead in the tank , then see , just an idea

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
You can use a powerhead for a reverse sump where you have the sump higher than the tank and pump water up and into it and down into your tank by gravity. It is actually more reliable than a regular overflow because if the pump quits only the sump empties.

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
You can use a powerhead for a reverse sump where you have the sump higher than the tank and pump water up and into it and down into your tank by gravity. It is actually more reliable than a regular overflow because if the pump quits only the sump empties.
Hey, do you mean a overhead sump? That works too , if he has the space

MadRussian79

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Where my fish swim
Not sure if you are trying to use two pumps one in each direction or asking if a power head can handle several feet of back pressure.

If two pumps then no use one pump only. The gravity flow is self adjusting if you use an overflow box. Or have you stand pipes close to the surface so only a few fractions of an inch drain down. When you have 2 pumps they would have to be matched exactly or either you sump will slowly over fill or your tank will slowly over fill. Any change in either the tank or sump level will alter the flow rates. You might get lucky in that the reach a steady state with the over fill causing the pumps to change flow rates and rebalanced the system.

I have both an under tank sump and an overhead refugium on my SW tank. They are completely separate systems. The handing refugium only has a few inches to pump water up the power head is fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store