Input on fish placement

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
Ok y'all, this is what I have:

TANKS- 75, 55, 30

FISH- Fem. Jack Dempsey, Fem. Festae, 2 Bichirs, 2 Jewel, Rubin Peacock, Ruby Peacock, Ruby Crystal Peacock, Yellow Fin, Common Pleco, Clown Loach, Brown Knife Fish

What I'm thinking is this:

30 gallon- 2 Red Jewels and I want to add 2 turquoise jewels

55 gallon- 3 Peacocks and yellow fin and I want to get a few more peacocks

75 gallon- Festae, Jack Dempsey, 2 Bichirs and common pleco

Question is, which tank should I put my clown loach and knife fish?

I also want to add an albino BN pleco I'm thinking to the 30? And I want to put 3-5 tinfoil barbs in at least my 55 and 75.

Opinions welcome. I just want all my gilled babies happy and colorful :cool:

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 13 gilled babies

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 13 gilled babies

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
Yes, I do plan on growing them out. We have and entertainment center cubby and want to build a custom fit aquarium there that would measure 56"longx30" wide x30-36" height/depth but that's a whole new topic.

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

Jmart159

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Tampa, Florida
Things seem a little crowded right now. What I worry about is the festae getting big and mean and not allowing anything in the tank with her. If that ends up being the case, your JD is going to get bumped to one of the smaller tanks which would make things even more tight. If it were me, I'd probably start with what you mentioned, with the bichirs in the 75 and the loach and knife in the 55. Be ready to play musical chairs though. It may take a few tries to find working combinations.

-JMart

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
That's why I wanted the Festae by herself in the 55 with maybe some kinda clean up crew. Right now the Festae is only about 3 & 1/2" so she's in the 30 with the CL, the knife is in the 55 alone because I plan on tearing it down and moving it from the living room to my bedroom for the Festae and all the rest are in the 75. The biggest fish we have is the JD at 5-6" and the Bichirs are getting close. The Bichirs and knife were impulsive buys about a year or so ago.

Anywho, my hubby wants the JD out of the 75 because the jewels never come out with her in there and seem stressed. We moved the JD to the 55 and she became stressed and quit eating and colors stayed dampened so we moved her back. She colored up and started eating as soon as she was put back in the 75. So, my hubby wants to separate the jewels and JD and he wants to add turquoise jewels...so you see my dilemma? The 55 and 30 are supposed to be my tank for my Festae and loach and anything else I want to add later. My brain feels cluttered lol. With the fish we own and tanks we own, what are your suggestions? I would love to keep my Festae separate with maybe just a clean up crew but idk.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I'd get the Festae used to being with your "clean -up" crew now, just like you're doing and maybe, MAYBE they'll be tolerated later on. I have a problem with algea in my big guys tanks due to the lights being on too much, but even the biggest Plecos get abused. I've got one in my Red Devil grow out tank and so far, so good. Eventually, your big guys will need their own tanks.

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
Unfortunately, my Festae was beating the tar out of my clown so it's with the African now. I'm going to have to find larger cleaners. It's not the algae that's a problem, it's the Festae is a messy eater that's the problem. I saw on someones forum that they had CL and tinfoils with their Festae and didn't have any issues. My CL was an inch shorter than my Festae. I'll just go to my LFS and spend the extra money on a larger CL I suppose. I'm trying to talk the hubby into letting the jewels go and yellow fin. The JD has been with the Bichirs and Africans since day one and never had a problem. The JD is pretty docile. It's just the jewels and JD that don't get along too well.

Here's the cubby setup we have that I was talking about getting a custom built tank for within the next 3 years. The 75 is there nowuploadfromtaptalk1400597549808.jpg

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Solid wood? Looks very strong. I like the drift wood I the tank.

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
Sorry for a late response...I just noticed that you commented.

Yes, it's solid wood. Very strong. My husband actually got on it with the tank because he had to get back behind the aquarium to mess with cable.

Thank you. The "driftwood" in there is actually fake. We have real wood pieces soaking about to put them in. We have recently added 7 new plants and pothos coming out of the back. It's coming along.

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
Also we have re-homed a few fish and gained a few fish.

This is our current fish "inventory" ;)

JD, Festae, 2 peacock, 2 Bichirs, green terror, 5 jewels, albino BN pleco, reg BN pleco, 2 nerite snails, 1 assassin snail, and snow white crawfish.

We re-homed the common pleco, yellow fin, knife fish, clown loach, a peacock and 2 mbunas.

The jewels, albino BN, and snails are in the 30.

Festae and crawfish in the 55

And the rest in the 75.

So far this arrangement has worked for the last almost month...fingers crossed that it continues to work :thumbup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store