Clove oil?

AbangLongDil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Singapore
hey there, anybody here knows deeply about or has tried using clove oil to sedate fishes? I heard it acts great as a tranquilizer but to what extent? does it work on monster fishes like snakeheads too?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ive heard of it being used to euthanize sick and dieing fish. Never tried to sedate one. Is it absolutely necessary to sedate? Theres a reason anesthesiologist are the highest paid profession...

AbangLongDil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Singapore
I have only used it to euthanize fish. Its very powerful for fish. Why are you trying to sedate the fish?
When i tried to take out my snakehead for a transfer to another tank he got too vigorous with the net and ended up injuring himself alot... i wouldnt want that to happen again and i definitely want a peaceful and less stressful way of transfering my snakehead. Furthermore this time my smakehead is to be transfered into another persons home so i need to find a way where he wouldnt be very active for a period of about 30minutes

AbangLongDil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Singapore
Ive heard of it being used to euthanize sick and dieing fish. Never tried to sedate one. Is it absolutely necessary to sedate? Theres a reason anesthesiologist are the highest paid profession...
My snakehwad is a very timid and vigorous fish when its time for him to be manhandled. He would always react violently thus injuring himself alot. Plus he is now a foot long for me to handle with. So i want the safest and less stressful way for the fish to be handled as i am planning on a transfer from my home to my uncle's (which is a 25minute drive from my place)

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Instead of net, try using bigger pvc bag..let the fish swim in it and then just pull out gently :) did that with my 18" endlicheri :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Yes, I don't ever see people using nets to move large fish from aquariums. Nets work fine for small fish. But they should only be used for fish out of lakes, rivers and oceans when you don't care if the fish gets slammed.

A large pillow case will work as well. Simply cut off the tank using an opaque divider, and work the fish into a corner and let him go into the bag. Place him in a covered, dark container.

Sedating with something that can kill him will likely kill him or cause some permanent injuries.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
As said above.

Clove oil risks killing your fish. Period. It is a peacefull lethal weapon ( for euthanasia )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store