Fine filter material cleaning trick; let it dry out before flushing.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I’m sure this would work for socks and anything else.. but once these fine materials are dirty the water just rolls right off of it… pretty much impossible to flush. But if you keep a spare so that you can let the dirty one dry out, when you go to flush it then all the crap just comes right out.

Just found this out myself on my giant filter bags. I was toying with clamping a hose fitting to it so that I can pressurize it from the inside... but this turned out to be even better.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I throw them in washing machine dirty wet and moldy. Come out clean and I took a nap.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I throw them in washing machine dirty wet and moldy. Come out clean and I took a nap.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
the problem with that is your filters get a bunch of soap residue... unless you only ever use bleach in that machine.

Did you ever see the scams online where they sell plastic "soap balls" for washing clothes that last forever? Then people swear that they can see soap bubbles in the wash when they use them. Well, its just soap residue from on your clothes and left in the machine.

it obviously hasn't been enough to hurt your fish yet, but there would be residue.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
i have done both ways... i tried to clean my socks with wash machine, the other way is i take my pressure wash out and spray them from inside out.. and it gets clean that way too.. i notices that wash machine does clean it better but i have used bleach before i use the wash machine with set it with extra rinse...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store