Marineland C-530 Impeller Shaft BROKEN....AGAIN!!

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I have a Marineland C-530 canister. The filter itself works great..plenty of space for media...BUT, i have had it for 5 months and I have had to replace the darn porcelain impeller shaft...TWICE already. The Magnet is fine, just the piece that goes inside that looks like a white lollipop stick has broken in half. It has happened both times after servicing the canister and plugging it back in. The canister was full of water and primed so I wasn't running a dry motor (even if I was, It shouldn't break that easily). For reference, I have a 3 yr old fluval 306 running on the same tank and have never had any problems...the build quality is vastly superior. Both times I had to go online and order new impellers, but this time I called marineland and they said it was covered under the warranty...ughhhh...wish I had known that before I paid for the last two impellers. Now I have to wait 7-10 days for the warranty replacement and hope my fluval 306 is enough for the next week on a 110g. Does Anyone own a marineland canister (C-530) and have you had any problems with the impeller? If so, do you have any tips...I have used waterproof lubricant as well on the magnet. I just don't know why my impellers keep breaking!!! SO FRUSTRATING...ANY help, tips, advice in dealing with this canister would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Not in my tank, since my loaches would eat them. But i do find some tiny pond snails inside the canister foam and on the plastic paneling. But never in the propeller. I don't think they would be large or hard enough to cause any damage if they did get inside. Additionally, this has happened twice now after I have cleaned and serviced the impeller...so their were definitely no snails. It seems like after i prime the tank and it is full...it starts and then 2-3 seconds later it starts making noise, at which point I know I just broke the impeller shaft. This has happened three times. Is the porcelain shaft not supposed to spin as it is held in place by the two rubber bearings and just the magnet needs to rotate? Something is causing tension to snap the impeller shaft.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
I have 5 C-530's and all have had their impellers break. I refuse to buy the whole impeller assembly for just the shaft alone. So I make my own. I took a bamboo skewer and sanded it down to the correct diameter. It had been running for 5 months without a problem until today, when I was draining water and for a few minutes, the canister was running dry. Despite the bamboo shaft still looking unworn and just fine, I had trouble getting the impeller to spin. So I took a pair of wire cutters and cut up a wire coat hanger (the straight pieces of course:D). It seems to be working fine, even though the diameter is a bit smaller than the ceramic one. Also, hobby shops, especially RC ones, have a product called "piano wire", which comes in various guages and is used for struts and axels for cars and planes. I haven't checked this out yet, but may do it if the coat hanger doesn't stand up. Or could go back to the "skewer".

Mojorisin138

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Idaho
In my experience, all Marineland filters I've had were terrible and it was always something with the impeller. I just gave up on them all together, switched to fluval, and now I'm a happy man. The build quality of fluval over Marineland is leaps and bounds.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I have 5 C-530's and all have had their impellers break. I refuse to buy the whole impeller assembly for just the shaft alone. So I make my own. I took a bamboo skewer and sanded it down to the correct diameter. It had been running for 5 months without a problem until today, when I was draining water and for a few minutes, the canister was running dry. Despite the bamboo shaft still looking unworn and just fine, I had trouble getting the impeller to spin. So I took a pair of wire cutters and cut up a wire coat hanger (the straight pieces of course:D). It seems to be working fine, even though the diameter is a bit smaller than the ceramic one. Also, hobby shops, especially RC ones, have a product called "piano wire", which comes in various guages and is used for struts and axels for cars and planes. I haven't checked this out yet, but may do it if the coat hanger doesn't stand up. Or could go back to the "skewer".
Yes, my fluval has been running great. Nothing broken yet. But I'm definitely going to try the skewer and hanger idea. I can't believe the wood skewer worked in the water for 5 months...Nice. I was thinking of using a metal shaft but was worried that the metal and magnetic impeller might have some issues. Are hangers not magnetic? The piano wire does sound like a durable and viable option as well. By any chance, do you know the exact length of the impeller shaft so I can attempt to construct one as my old impeller was in pieces and I chucked it in the garbage before measuring it. again, thank you for all the input.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
I think the skewer could have gone on for much longer since, in the 5 months, it was barely worn. Many impeller shafts from power heads I have, are made of a stainless steel rod and there is no adverse effect between the magnet and the rod. Hangers are ferromagnetic and the one I put in today is working fine. I tossed my old impeller out as well but before I did, I pieced it together to measure the length and it was very close to 9.7 cm (3.8 inches).

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Ever since I have been using my C-530, I have had to unplug my heater because of the heat it makes. My 100g tank gets to 84-85 degrees and I thought it was a combination of my wavemakers and powerhead. It wasn't until my impeller broke and I had everything running as usual minus the C-530 that my temps started to drop and i plugged in my heater to keep it around 79 degrees. Now the new impeller gets here, C-530 is up and running again and withing 24 hrs my temps are hitting 84.1-84.4 degrees. What the heck? This is about 4-5 degrees warmer than I like...my room temp is 70 degrees, i have no heater plugged in and when I unplugged the marineland (even though i knew it was the culprit) with an hour it started to drop almost a degree. Does anyone have these issues or is this excessive for this canister...I don't think this should be happening and think my motor might be heating up abnormally...Any similar experience? Is this normal?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store