Pearls different morph?

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I am no pearl expert....but from what i have read and been told there are light base and dark base pearls, in addition as pearls grow older the pearls (circles) break and merge together as you see in your second pic.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
I find that Pearl rays are forever changing. No one can predict whats going to happen next regarding pattern formation......This for me is the one thing that makes them so magical!
The top picture is pretty standard regarding markings, the one below however is more unusual but this kind of formation does crop up from time to time.
Nice rays!

Wanna Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East
is there no "Official Pearl ray thread"???
i see that here there r breed/species specific threads for other rays like motoro, hystrix, schroederi (flower), leo, mantila, aparico, yepezi & castexi; but nothing on Pearls!!!

i'll share some pics of my juvi pearls shortly...

fishy_manny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2012
Philippines
I am no pearl expert....but from what i have read and been told there are light base and dark base pearls, in addition as pearls grow older the pearls (circles) break and merge together as you see in your second pic.
I find that Pearl rays are forever changing. No one can predict whats going to happen next regarding pattern formation......This for me is the one thing that makes them so magical!
The top picture is pretty standard regarding markings, the one below however is more unusual but this kind of formation does crop up from time to time.
Nice rays!
as far as i know pearl will always morph as it grows...
actually guys those 2 are of the same size (bet 7.5" to 8") I think what ever their markings are at birth will definitely change but not to that extreme.. for me the 1st one is the standard and the second one is uhmmmm hybrid?? :confused:
anyways here are fresh pics.. they are housed in different tanks
DSC01908.JPGDSC01902.JPG

and here's another staying in my pond.. she's around 14" already

DSC01901.JPG

DSC01908.JPG

DSC01902.JPG

DSC01901.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store