Wouldn't you believe it! Stupid guppies :/

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
I hate guppies for ie. fancy tailed guppies! They breed like crazy but this is a new extreme! I bought a few fish from a box store and the guy had caught a single guppy with the fish I actually wanted. I pointed him out and he said he would remove it before placing them in the bag. To say the least he never removed it and I brought home a single free guppy that I didn't want in the first place! However my husband thought it was a pretty fish and wanted me to keep it :banghead: sure enough it was a pregnant female. She had 2 babies. 1 male and 1 female. Of course incest has no merit in the animal world so that male got both females pregnant again with 3 other babies about 2 weeks ago. Come yesterday and I went to do my wc and fix a real plant that came up wouldn't you know it, more guppy babies! And a lot of them! I was able to count at least 17 of them! But counting newly born fry in a 150g tank deems impossible so honestly I really have no idea how many are in there! My husband won't let me get rid of them and none of my other fish will eat them! I have no idea what to do with all these stupid guppies! So frustrated!
Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I had the same problem with mollies I had about 100 in my 75 gallon in about 6 months. I bought a couple columbian catfish to take care of them. I wanted something not too aggressive but would eat the fry. Bought them from a big box store so they brought ich into the tank. The cat fish didn't survive the ich treatment but the fry did. Turned the tank into my oscar and jag grow out tank and problem solved.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Most any predatory fish would happily take care of your blooming guppy population. I wouldnt say you need a rtc or tsn, they would help reduce the population, but not eliminate it because they dont hunt near the surface where guppies spend much of their time. What else is in the tank that you do want to keep?

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
Most any predatory fish would happily take care of your blooming guppy population. I wouldnt say you need a rtc or tsn, they would help reduce the population, but not eliminate it because they dont hunt near the surface where guppies spend much of their time. What else is in the tank that you do want to keep?
that was a joke haha its only 200 gallon tank

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Get some tetras or danios, they will be happy to munching on the guppy fry. Skipping the feeding time to encourage other fish to eating the guppy fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store