What's rules do you use to determine min. Tank requirements?

Black Tuna

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2014
California
youtube.com
I often see people saying that certain size tank requirements are necessary for this fish or that stocking plan. I'm just curious what rules or calculations everyone uses to determine minimum tank requirements. Recently I've read people stating that a standard 48" long 55 gallon tank would not be sufficient to home a 6" mature CA cichlid. So got me thinking how do people arrive at these conclusions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
I go based on length of fish and width of tank mainly ,although tank is also a factor. For example for a mature adult male managuense which should hit 14 inches a 125 is what I consider minimum. To me nothing above 8 inches should be in a 55 because the average width is what? A foot? That leaves 4 inches of space to with go forward or backward. Not at all adequate to me. Active fish need length more so than relatively inactive ones. And that's not even factoring in tank mates or specific aggression levels

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Black Tuna

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2014
California
youtube.com
That's a great rule of thumb. So maybe tanks depth should be double the fish length? How do you then judge how many of those fish can go in the tank?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I say 4x fish's length for tank length and 2x fishes length for width. Ofcourse there are exceptions like atf need a bigger tank because they are always swimming vs lung fish being flexible and air breathers can be in a smaller tank. I find height doesnt matter except for looks with 90% of fish

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I should add that fishs length is reasonable max length. People dont always upgrade when required so I always stay on the bigger side. Can a rtc growout in a 40b? Yes but 99% of people underestimate the growth or say they will upgrade later and never do

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
That's a great rule of thumb. So maybe tanks depth should be double the fish length? How do you then judge how many of those fish can go in the tank?

With cichlids its species and shown aggression, plus availability for adequate territories that allow fish to live together and not murder each other. Example 1 male Managuense in a 125 vs maybe a few male cons. 1 Male jag will claim a entire 125 as his own and any other male is competition. Cons are small enough to where the chances of more than 1 male coexisting is possible

Sent from my VS840 4G

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
My personal rule is length of tank should be 4 times that of the fish length. The fish should be no longer than 2/3 the width of the tank (unless it's an inflexible species then 1/2 the width of the tank), and height rules vary for me depending in the individual fish.

Black Tuna

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2014
California
youtube.com
With cichlids its species and shown aggression, plus availability for adequate territories that allow fish to live together and not murder each other. Example 1 male Managuense in a 125 vs maybe a few male cons. 1 Male jag will claim a entire 125 as his own and any other male is competition. Cons are small enough to where the chances of more than 1 male coexisting is possible

Sent from my VS840 4G
Yea I hear you on that, species make a difference. Even the mix of fish matters, and even some strange exceptions. Had a salvini, nic, blue acara in a 60 and all kind of fighting. Then I put in my big male convict, who is really mellow, and the chemistry of the tank calmed down and worked. He was kind of like an enforcer, never picked on anyone but was big enough to make sure everyone stayed inline.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I go by:

Riverine or lake species (different DO requirements).

Known territorial characteristics.

Average adult size.

Activity level (active constant swimmer to sedentary statue mime).

Feeding style.

Overall body flexibility.

Body height.

Swimming speed.

Nesting area size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store