Costs too feed a puffer

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Did you think about getting those cloaning crawfish I think they are crawled marble crawfish. When I had my puffers. I had a snail tank set up for snails to breed. I had a smaller GSP. if I had a bigger one I would do the same for crawfish.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Did you think about getting those cloaning crawfish I think they are crawled marble crawfish. When I had my puffers. I had a snail tank set up for snails to breed. I had a smaller GSP. if I had a bigger one I would do the same for crawfish.
It'd be hard and take awhile to have a sufficient enough breeding operation to feed this puffer lol. He eats 1-2 large crays a day. Those marble crays are relatively small- especially the babies. He'd probably eat 5-10 of those. And then I'd have to wait through both gestation period and period of growth to a size viable for a 12" puffer to consume; 5-6 months to hit 3-5"; anything smaller would be hard for him to notice and catch, not to mention make a dent in hunger. It's not worth my time right now. Much easier for me to just buy crawdads at 4.99 a lb; especially when shrimp is 7.99 a lb.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Try cut frozen blue crabs to vary his diet... they sell frozen blue crabs relatively cheap at asian markets. You pay something like 3 bucks for 4 pieces of cut crab! Seems to satisfy their hungry too.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
That's what I thought. You would need about 5 55's to get enough to feed full time. I have a 20L with them. I can onlytake 3-4 a week. I buy frozen mussels at Wal-Mart and give him about 4 a week. Everyone in our local club lets me harvest snails. I have dozens of tanks of snails that way.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store