NTT datnoid feeding problem..

andwho

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Alright guys get some popcorn out:popcorn:

So ive been trying to get my ntt datnoid off live food for a while now ( like 2-3months ) and usually right before it looks skinny i feed it some feeders. When i saw my ntt yesterday it was on its side very very weak and skinny. So i rushed to the nearest fish store and bought a couple dozen feeders. This made the datnoid (which looked like it was on deaths bed sleeping on its side) get up and start to chase the feeders around. The only problem is that the feeders are too fast for it to catch... what can i do to assist it without scaring her away from eating.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Net out the feeders and smack them with something to stun them. Sounds cruel, but if your dat doesn't eat it's going to die. I've seen it done to mice before being fed to a snake as the mice could potentially bite the snake and transmit bacteria (I have never and never could do this to an animal (ie. mouse...but as far as the feeders I would try to stun them if it would slow them down enough for your dat to eat) Good Luck

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
First I'll say I've never had your exact situation as I've never had a fish I couldn't break off live; so I guess my advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I have however had fish in a very weak condition due to not eating who where in a condition similar if not worse then your Dat. In my case it was recently imported Flowerhorns and Red Mammons who had intestinal infestations. So I treated them with a epsom and pellet solution using a pipette. Which if you feel comfortable doing force feeding with the pipette is an option. This however is more then likely not a recourse you'll be comfortable with. So there are two other options.

One would be moving the Dat to a small hospital tank(10gal or so depending on the Dats Size) or using a breeder box that attaches to the inside of your tank. After acclimating to the new accommodations the Dat will have a much easier time feeding on live due to the confined space.

Another would be to hobble the fish to make it easier to catch but I wouldn't try and stun the fish. Stunning them without actually killing them or putting them in a paralyzed state will probably be very hard. Since your Dat only eats live more then likely he'll ignore a unmoving fish, which is the state most of the fish you try to stun will be in. Your best bet and again I'm not promoting such behavior in general but if you feel you have no other choice is to try clipping the feeders tail, the soft rays. This should hopefully slow them down and make them clumsy enough to be caught.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Try a feeder that won't flee away & will just sit there & wiggle like worms. In this case blackworms should be a gd option cause they're easy for a weak fish to swallow. If he's above 5inch, small earthworms might be the way to go

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Net out the feeders and smack them with something to stun them. Sounds cruel, but if your dat doesn't eat it's going to die.
I've done this a few times with stubborn fish and fast feeders.While the feeder is in the net give it a nice smack upside the wall of the tank or stand,just hard enough to stun the feeder and then toss him into the tank.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
Ntt dats and some dats sometimes lay there sideways. I find it normal. But anywho, i suggest feeding it raw market shrimp and then dried krill. Slowly then mix pellets in

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed on the laying on its side,I pretty much disregarded that and focused on his fish being weak and thin...Agreed also on the shrimp,in my experience NTT can be extremely stubborn when it comes to training but most dats can't resist shrimp.

ahan801

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2013
Malaysia
how long can a 3 inch datnoids go without food....as i am starving my datnoids from live feeder to pellet for 3 days already?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store