Can you id this snake?

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
My neighbor almost stepped on it in her garage. She was thinking copperhead so she took an ax to it. They've had a few copperhead in the past. She's afraid she may have a nest somewhere and is scared for her little nosy yorkie

uploadfromtaptalk1400767761255.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400767779043.jpg

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Definitely not a copperhead. It is a young rat snake of some kind, likely Eastern or Black. Harmless (especially now!)

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Definitely a juvenile Rat Snake and completely harmless like mentioned. People really need to learn how to identify native snakes in their area to avoid this type of senseless death. It cracks me up that everything looks like a copperhead. I think the list of deaths caused by Copperheads in the last 150 years in the US can be counted on one hand.

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Definitely a juvenile Rat Snake and completely harmless like mentioned. People really need to learn how to identify native snakes in their area to avoid this type of senseless death. It cracks me up that everything looks like a copperhead. I think the list of deaths caused by Copperheads in the last 150 years in the US can be counted on one hand.
I believe the total number of recorded deaths is currently at two.

Etunes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Florida
I agree so much with this statement. I have a friend of the family that have a moto, if it slithers he takes its head. I have saved rat snakes, black racers, even ring neck snakes from people like this and it bothers me that i even have too. I mean here in FL we have a few basic venemous snakes that really look like no other snake here that is non-venemous. (that i can think of off the top of my head here at work) Which is a few species of rattlesnakes, water moccosins, and coral snakes. But ya i feel it is a problem that is suffered pretty much everywhere and it bothers me :irked:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store