Ever used this filtration?

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
So there's this local shop around me that uses only sponge/spiral filters with power heads through out all of their tanks, even the 500 gallon! So I decided to give it a shot on my 180 gallon, I only spent about 60 bucks and it seems to be doing its job, I've never had any problems (knock on wood). It's about a 2ft long sponge/spiral and the top just connects to a power head shooting back through the tank. I need to get another one for more filtration but I was just curious if anyone else has used this kind of filter?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I dont see the filter so I cant tell ya. I have used large sponge filters on powerheads and they worked pretty well picking up a lot but didnt move poo like other types did and mine certainly wasnt 2 feet tall

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
Its just a 2ft sponge, its in the overflow box. Id take it out and post a pic but Im too lazy lol Ive just never heard of a lot of people using it and I don't get why they don't just use this instead of spending $200+ on other filters.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I do not know whether where ou put is the best place.

German aquarists still swear by big sponges both as mechanical and bio filtration. Huge tanks only with sponges.

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
I do not know whether where ou put is the best place.

German aquarists still swear by big sponges both as mechanical and bio filtration. Huge tanks only with sponges.
It is a DAS tank, idk if there are only made in Texas since there's a shop here but I believe it's German and they original tank was made to have the sponges sit in the back Ill add image.jpga pic for a better view.

image.jpg

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
the germans use big sponge plates. There is a nema for this method....i will try to find out.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
A sponge filter powered by a ph is basically an submersible filter. Really no difference from cans or hobs just the fact the sponge is in the tank.

definitely a cheap way to filter

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
It sure did save me money I like it lol. Here in the next year I'm planning to build an indoor pond for the aros and gar and I bet the will be fun. I was going to try outdoor since it's usually warm here but I saw another guys thread and it just looked like a bunch of money had to be spent.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store