New 55 gallon tank

Bowdenjoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2014
Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
I've done a lot of research into this aquarium and the fish below but is always better to have as many opinions as you can.

This what I would like, a blue jack dempsey and a gold severum but wondering what other fish go in(or out). I was wondering about a farlowella? Uv steriliser for the ebjd? Good dither fish? Bigger aquarium?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
2 cichlids that size in a 55 might be trouble..much better chance in a 5ft tank....jd and a cat probably fine:)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd go 75 minimum if you want a Sev and a JD, 55 would be the minimum for a single Sev. Farlowella is a pretty large genus, what particular species did you have in mind? I could suggest some other nice catfish if you're interested...

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I'm sorry I typed bluejack instead of electric blue, severum is not a deal breaker but an electric blue and catfish would be brilliant

that "should " work,depending on the catfish 1)being able to cope with occasional aggression and 2)not getting above about 9-10 inches in length.....

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
What sort of catfish then? Thanks for the replies

A striped raphael catfish would look good in that setup; just don't expect to see it much as they're highly nocturnal so feed after lights out for a chance to see it. Asian Bumblebee Cats are also good and hardy but some of them can be temperamental with other fish and if you get one like mine he only eats bloodworms, blackworms, and cocktail shrimp so if you're new to the hobby I'd do the raph.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store