Arapaima opportunity

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
So I got this great opportunity to put my hands on an arapaima gigas for just 79 dlls (it's the first time I've seen one in cancun, mexico) good thing I have a pond that is 32 by 22 feet, I think that may be enough, the real question is this: it's only 22 inches depth.. is that good for a lifetime?

Thanks a lot!

Sent from my GT-N5100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
They breathe air so im not sure depth is a huge issue but they may grow taller than 22". Any chance of digging the pond deeper?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Ya your going to need a deeper pond. Get digging or better go to the rental place and get some mechanical help

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
And what do you guys consider the very minimum? The thing is that I already have a group of oscars, a RTC and a caribe piranha so digging may not be the best option for me

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
Something about a pond with piranhas freaks me out...just a bit, lol
Lol I know, but it's only one, I thought about putting more but that may be dangerous for my other fishes, right?

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
Depth affect temperature too... I would take a temperature reading on some of your hottest days to see what that water gets and then research if they can take it.
True, gotta check that.. a hot day here in cancun should be in high 80s.. on the other hand only about 15% of the pond is exposed to direct sunlight, everything else is under shadow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store