ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I'm getting a brand new fx6 tomorrow.

I have ordered 1.32 gallons of Eheim substrate pro
Polishing pads, and regular pads made by fluval for the fx6
And I have seachem 500ml of purigen with their "the bag". Which has now about 3-400 ml of the purigen in it.

Now this is how I'm thinking would be a good way of setting up the baskets:

Top tray:
Regular pads

Middle tray:
polishing pad
Substrat pro

Bottom tray:
Substrat pro
Purigen
Polishing pad

Do you recommend this way to setting it up, or would you change the configuration?

Any input is welcome, I've read, searched and watched as much I could find, yet I feel a bit insecure and thought to get some responses in order to get this set up the best way possible.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Your setup sounds great to me....only thing is if you have a decently stocked tank be prepared to change out the polishing pads frequently. .I don't use them in my fx5s since my tank is overstocked and I'd be changing them every few days

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Thanks, just at the store to get more stones, but I'll set it up and show it here.

However I have no fishes yet, and I still have no idea what to get, way too many options. But I'm getting ideas from my work when I order in fishes that I consider.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I should probably break down and get some different media. But the fluval media has really never done me wrong either. Every now and then I use the polishing pads. Even with my light stocking in comparison to so many here they only last a max of 30 days. I can't even take them out of the tray without them falling apart.

The prefilter media is basically useless but I still have it in the top tray with 2 blue pads. Next tray is 2 more blue pads with fluvals biomax media squished inbetween (500g). Bottom tray is 1 blue pad on the bottom with 500g biomax. Aside from feedings, my water stays clear enough for me and I'm rather particular. Had many people who are fellow fishkeepers tell me my tank is immaculate when I haven't done anything but W/C and quick gravel vac's because I'm simply too busy. I look at it and think it's a mess and that I'm a lazy bastard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store