Ideas for native tank

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Hey all. I am pixking up another 75G this weekend. It is going to be another pickerel tank. That being said I ofcourse will have some java moss to help with amonia and nitrates. I will admit I am a bit of a novice with the planted tank. I currently do have have a CO2 system in place. I relay on Flourish Excel and Flourish plant nutrients. I of course run flouresent light abput 12 hours a day. I want to do a complete carper, some tall thick folliage for amushing. And some decnt sized midground plants. Id aldo really like to so some kind of large leafed lilly pad that is rooted. I am a bit of a novise as I said before so the easier to care for the better. High growth rates would be optimal as well. So far my plants are floruish in my 20gl using the system I have been.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Another pickerel eh, you sure like Esocids :). IMO CO2 systems are better for all plant tanks and if you're doing a fish I'd just skip it since most plants don't require one: especially java moss, you can't stop it from growing and believe the phrase "once you have it, you are not getting rid of it". I didn't believe that until I tried to remove all the java moss in my 30, well I'm still finding pieces to this day.

on another note some hornwort would look good.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Hahaha I do live my Esocids. Still bummed the wife didnt let me get the 250 for the chain o well. Yeah I think im going t do a good amount of hornwort. I can pick it up dor extremely cheap from my local hatchery. I really think some illies pads would look awesome as well but I want the stemmed variety. Good to know about the CO2 system. I really didnt want to pump to much into the tank. This is going to be for that tank im pixking up this weekend. I think Im going to do some sort of hair grass as well. On the plus side I get to go to RMS this weekend. Ill have all pictures up of what they have later tonight.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hahaha I do live my Esocids. Still bummed the wife didnt let me get the 250 for the chain o well. Yeah I think im going t do a good amount of hornwort. I can pick it up dor extremely cheap from my local hatchery. I really think some illies pads would look awesome as well but I want the stemmed variety. Good to know about the CO2 system. I really didnt want to pump to much into the tank. This is going to be for that tank im pixking up this weekend. I think Im going to do some sort of hair grass as well. On the plus side I get to go to RMS this weekend. Ill have all pictures up of what they have later tonight.
I'll be watching for pictures from my boat hopefully (traffic permitting) :D

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Another pickerel eh, you sure like Esocids :). IMO CO2 systems are better for all plant tanks and if you're doing a fish I'd just skip it since most plants don't require one: especially java moss, you can't stop it from growing and believe the phrase "once you have it, you are not getting rid of it". I didn't believe that until I tried to remove all the java moss in my 30, well I'm still finding pieces to this day.

on another note some hornwort would look good.
I boiled a piece of wood with java moss on it, for like 30 minutes.

A few weeks later, the Java moss started coming back >_>

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Gee I feel hopeless now... got a massive amount of java moss once killed it all in 2 weeks :(
Impossible, it can survive a nuclear holocaust :D. I'm sure there's still at least a few pieces, visually all of mine is gone but I'll suck out a piece every other water change so that's how I know it's still in there.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Impossible, it can survive a nuclear holocaust :D. I'm sure there's still at least a few pieces, visually all of mine is gone but I'll suck out a piece every other water change so that's how I know it's still in there.
I bought a piece of driftwood my lfs had in their planted display tank and it uad some on it, even though I was dry for a couple of weeks the moss still came back.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
tank was shut down not too long after but there was none I could see, I must say I have had horrible luck with plants even anubias died on me... I had more luck keeping a coral alive in 19c water.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
I start my java wrapped around a ball you would get in an arts and craft store suspend it from a rock tied with fishin line so it floats after I get good growth I cut the line and un ravel some fromand tie it to whater mayu want it attached to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store