aquatic turtles and cichlids?

Loshmitchell101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I keep a mixed tank of cichlids and med. sized catfish in a 270, weve always wanted to build a docking platform and exterior dry area inside our top box, i understand fly river turtles are the best and extremely expensive and illegal? But overall what could be another option we could try? Ive seen other soft shell turtles and but overall would the main most common turtles really take on largish cichlids and others? I would love a species list of at least possibilities that we could further research. I absolutely love this idea, growing up we had a 110 gallon tank with two red ears and a large bala shark that they couldnt catch and to this day i love this idea.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
From what I've read a lot of turtles can be time bombs. They are equipped to kill fish and one day might do it out of the blue.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I have a Spiney gulf soft shell turtle with my large fish in a 420 gallon tank its been doing very well and has no basking area and I have no problem with fungus on shell,keep crushed coral in with gravel and keeps my PH at 7.0 to 7.2 try to get a male they stay half the size of females and keep there color and markings.The females get to be about two feet in length and turn a solid brown color.a lot of people say the turtle will go after your fish,mine does not get feed any live food and eats Tilapia,freeze dried krill and large carnivore sticks so he does not bother to go after fish because he ids feed well every day.So I say go for it,they are not that expensive I paid $40 bucks at my LFS.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
i keep my painted with fish. never get a RES they are the worst in terms of that.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
These are ones I'd recommend, in order from least risky to most risky:
-Mud or Musk Turtles
-Spotted Turtles
-Softshells
-Map Turtles
-Painted Turtles
-Diamondback Terrapins

From what I've learned, Sidenecks and Sliders tend to be more aggressive towards fish and other turtles.
Also note that any turtle will eat or at least nip at fish that are not of great size. Try to choose turtles that are too big to fit in your fish's mouths but too small to nip at their fins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store