Annual deoworming

McPhish

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
MI
So I was talking with my LFS store guy and he said that he deworms his discus every once in a while. Should I deworm (PraziPro) my datnoids once a year? All my datnoids are fat and eating ferociously.I do see the occasional scratching on the bottom of the tank. What’s everyoneopinion on annually deworming datnoids or fish in general? Also all my datnoidseat hikari pellets.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed,the worms shouldn't come from anywhere else...then again there's a chance that there is still some surviving parasites in your tank if your dats are scratching a little.Ive found that a good dose of Cupramine or Coppersafe works better than prazi.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
So I was talking with my LFS store guy and he said that he deworms his discus every once in a while. Should I deworm (PraziPro) my datnoids once a year? All my datnoids are fat and eating ferociously.I do see the occasional scratching on the bottom of the tank. What’s everyoneopinion on annually deworming datnoids or fish in general? Also all my datnoidseat hikari pellets.
I think annually deworming your fat, ferociously eating dats is most likely a waste of time & unnecessarily adding chemicals to your fish. Healthy dats of all sizes do occasionally rub themselves on the bottom & rough edges occasionally like your noticing (always chalked it up to be harmless growing itches.lol). Wouldn't be concerned one bit unless your noticing CONSTANT rubbing with scars or marks (esp. if they're rubbing in their eye area) to reflect a problem like poor water quality, malnutrition or parasites. If they're eyes don't look right, it may be something other than normal occasional dat itches

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
if it aint broke, do not fix it. :) meds hard on a fishes liver.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store