Drylok as Substrate?

FishOnCampus

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2011
Mars
Can I simply pour designer drylok (supposed to have a sand-looking finish) to the bottom of my tank to act as a substrate?
Will it adhere to acrylic? glass?

Here is the product itself:
http://www.drylok.com/formulas/designer-drylok/

If nobody knows I will just test it out and post the result. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Might look awful :popcorn:

timbo6684

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Surface of the Sun, Arizona
If you're just looking to have a sand look-a-like there are spray paints that have a similar look...you can just spray the underside and it'll be visible from the top.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishOnCampus

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2011
Mars
I poured drylok paint and sprinkled sand on it today. Well see how it sticks tomorrow. I do not have very high hopes. haha Gravel would have worked better, sand is too small and absorbed the color of the paint
Painting the underside is a good idea, but you tradeoff how realistic it appears. Hopefully I will achieve a lot more texture inside the tank, especially by adding the sand, or maybe if it works okay, rocks, etc

Edit: Home Depot did not carry Designer Drylok, so I purchased gray.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I did this effect using concrete instead of Drylok. I heard Drylock has a much more "finished" look to it than using concrete (well motor really).

I mixed a mixture of aquarium gravel and aquarium plant substrate (planting soiling essentially) in with the mortor, and then sprinkled some on the finished product after I applied (heavily) the gravel/mortor mixture and when it dried it turned out REALLY WELL.

I was super happy with how it looked. I did mine on foam backing to imitate a dirt "riverbed". I also put in a crap load of black concrete dye in the concrete to match the black substrate.

I don't have a very good picture of it since the tank isn't finished yet, but here's the best picture I have. It looks better in person. (right side on back wall is "imitation dirt")

FishOnCampus

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2011
Mars
That looks great! I am building a floating "hydroponics island" that I want to look like dirt .. sprinkling the aquasoil is genius.

I thought that concrete had to be sealed with drylok to help prevent leaching. (was simply going to skip the concrete part for the substrate) Not really trying to do 2 water changes a day for 2 weeks haha

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
From what I've read the concrete only leeches for a week or so. The tank is soaking right now without any fish in it, and will keep soaking for about a month.

I didn't go drylock because it was more expensive and the finished look wasn't what I was looking for.

But I think using plant substrate will give you the look you want. Sand is too fine, I did try it and it didn't really add a texture. Adding some aquarium gravel really gave the special touch I was looking for.

Post some pics when you're done, sounds like a cool project :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store