Fx6 vs ProFlex Model 4 sump for a 125G

RayStruth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Hendersonville, NC
Like the title says I'm trying to figure out which would be a better fit for my tank. It's a freshwater community tank and I try to do at least a 10% WC every other day or so when I clean the substrate. The previous filters were a Marineland Magnum Pro and a Marineland C360 but the magnum is having issues with the wear and tear because of the sand. I will probably still run the C-360 along with the new filtration. Does anyone have any advice it would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Id say the sump will give you more filtration and far more flexibility on what you run plus will make your tank look cleaner without the intake and heaters in it.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
And you either already have overflows or will need an overflow box which I find much less noticable than the big intake tube and strainer of a canister. You have flexibility to run that sump a few different ways and can add and remove media easily if you need to add more chemical or bio filtration. Plus keeps your display tank water lever at the same point. Imo its a no brainer but I do run canisters on my smaller tanks

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I always vote sump.

RayStruth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Hendersonville, NC
I was always hesitant about sumps because most people drill the holes in the tank which always scared the crap out of me, I think they sell little boxes you can hook onto the tank to alleviate that but I don't know a whole lot about setting up a sump.

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
I run 2 FX5s in my120g with sand substrate for over 2 years with out any issues. The next tank I get is going to be a 400-500g so I may run a sump with that.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I'm actually going to be switching to a sump+FX5 combo on my 180 and my 120 as soon as I finish moving into my new home. I love the sump on my 144, but the water polishing and the fact that I don't have to turn them off when I so a water change are also reasons to love my canisters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store