Advise with moving tank

jwowoski

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New York
I'm moving one of my 125 gallons to another room, I need some advice about starting a new water cycle or trying to keep as much water as I can?
I have just three smaller fish which are two smaller parrots with a 6inch true alligator gar

Should I just start the tank over again? Or try to save all the water?

I have another place to put the fish while all this is happening too

Just want to hear what you guys have to say

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
If the tank has enough bacteria in the filters just use new water and treat it as a 100% water change.

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
what kind of fliter are you using? I just moved my 125 last month. Just keep water in the filter should be fine. I also painted the back of my tank black just use 2 cans of matte black spray paint

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
If the tank has enough bacteria in the filters just use new water and treat it as a 100% water change.
I just moved a bunch of tanks today. I save as much water as possible and use treated tap for the rest. One tank I divided into two and just treated it as very large water changes. So far I only lost one fish, sadly he never made it out of the cooler.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Water has no beneficial worth to the beneficial bacteria colony. BB that convert ammonia and nitrite stick on to surfaces and are not free floating thus you are just dirtying up your 125 when you save water. All the Bb is in your filters/decor.

If you do large frequent water changes and dont have sensitive fish then theres no benefit to saving old tank water. I personally do 80% water changes so when I move tanks I throw out all the old tank water and then add brand new water. My nitrates are always around 15-20 ppm so its not a shock to them. But if you have +40ppm then throw them into 0ppm water they will probably do fine. Fish adjust to nitrates within a period of roughly two weeks. Some weaker stressed fish could die as they then become too stressed but if your tank is healthy theres no need to save old tank water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store