plants

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
i know this is more ideally place in the set up/filtration but its my rays that cause this issue.

im going to be setting up my new tank in the next few months, before i had rays i had alot of plants in my tank which id like to have back but its a loosing battle with the rays pulling them out of the sand so ive been having a think.... my new tank will be glass, here in the UK alot of the taller plants come in plastic pots with foam wrapped round the roots to help them sink, the pots have grooves in the sides for the roots to grow through. ive thought that if i silicone the bottom of the plastic pot to the base of the tank, then cover with sand they should look good and stay in position permanently. i know they wont be moved round very easily after but thats kinda the idea, other than this, can anyone think of any flaws or maybe better ideas to stop the rays moving and destroying the plants?

seeing as its bound to be asked with you lot,:j/k: the new dimensions will be 7x4x2.5 and will have 2 - 4x1.5x1.5 sumps so will hold about 550 gals of water

i only want the plants round the outside 2 edges that are against the 2 walls that the tank will be against to keep as much floor space as possible

thanks

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I've got some Anubias attached to the drift wood in my tank. I have also attached some to the back and side of the tank using suction cups. Zip tie the plant to the suction cup and stick them where ever. Won't work well for rooted plants though.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
I tried putting plants in heavy pots but still the rays will just drag them all over the tank. Everything gets uprooted when they play with the plants.

What i did is create my underwater bonsai from a mangrove root and anubias. Im working on my frankenstein bonsai v2 (bottom pic) now and have a big hollow log that im attaching anubias on. There are times that the rays perch on top of the bonsai and some anubias will be detach but nothing serious.

Floorspace is also maximize as they stay under the tree roots and sometimes perch like a bird on top of the bonsai. I also have some synodontis and the root serves as their hiding spot

image.jpg

image.jpg

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I silicones all my air lone clips to the bottom of the tank before I filled with water. A year later they had all been removed by the rays. They were small then as well. Don't think the silicone will work mate.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I have my anubius connected to pieces of chollo. The rays and current move the plants about regularly but it still looks nice. My only minor issue is that occasionally they will bury a plant in the sand

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i know this is more ideally place in the set up/filtration but its my rays that cause this issue.

im going to be setting up my new tank in the next few months, before i had rays i had alot of plants in my tank which id like to have back but its a loosing battle with the rays pulling them out of the sand so ive been having a think.... my new tank will be glass, here in the UK alot of the taller plants come in plastic pots with foam wrapped round the roots to help them sink, the pots have grooves in the sides for the roots to grow through. ive thought that if i silicone the bottom of the plastic pot to the base of the tank, then cover with sand they should look good and stay in position permanently. i know they wont be moved round very easily after but thats kinda the idea, other than this, can anyone think of any flaws or maybe better ideas to stop the rays moving and destroying the plants?

seeing as its bound to be asked with you lot,:j/k: the new dimensions will be 7x4x2.5 and will have 2 - 4x1.5x1.5 sumps so will hold about 550 gals of water

i only want the plants round the outside 2 edges that are against the 2 walls that the tank will be against to keep as much floor space as possible

thanks
Good idea but it won't work

The rays will smash the plastic pots pull out the foam and all you will be left with is broken bits of plastic sticking up from the sand

My big rays can move a 10kg pebble around the tank they would have great fun digging up plastic pots

Even if you put the plants in clay pots the plants would still get ripped up and it would be hard to put new plants in a pot stuck to the base

Their is no way around it plants don't work in a ray tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
Good idea but it won't work

The rays will smash the plastic pots pull out the foam and all you will be left with is broken bits of plastic sticking up from the sand

My big rays can move a 10kg pebble around the tank they would have great fun digging up plastic pots

Even if you put the plants in clay pots the plants would still get ripped up and it would be hard to put new plants in a pot stuck to the base

Their is no way around it plants don't work in a ray tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thats me told lol! but seriously... thanks!

would a similar idea work but with plastic plants just to get the colour?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store