What is killing my TSN?

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
North Haledon, New Jersey
Looked at my tank this morning to find this poor fella upside-down gasping for life. He was healthy enough last night to be swimming around but was injured like he is now. I planted some live anachris a few days ago and I have a feeling that this disease came from it. Whatever it is has seemed to remove the skin and cause bleeding. You can clearly see what's on him by looking at the whiskers. Water params showed nothing out of the ordinary, only .25 ppm ammonia and 20 ppm nitrate. Can anyone tell me what it is and maybe how to treat it? It doesn't seem like there's much hope but it's always worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPGphoto 3 (1).JPG

photo 1 (1).JPG

photo 2 (1).JPG

photo 3 (1).JPG

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA
He looks pretty rough. Appears to be some kind of fungus maybe? I've never seen anything like it. Has it been getting worse? Or did it just appear like that one day?
Does he have tankmates? If he does, are they showing symptoms?

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
Looks like ammonia burn. Huge water changes, increase aeration. Ammonia should always be 0. I think cats are more sensitive because they are scaleless.

Sent from my MB886 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
The symptoms just showed up yesterday, I haven't noticed anything before that. I just finished a 30% change and I'm already working on another one. I'll all some more air stones to increase aeration ASAP. It's really weird though how these symptoms came so bad so quick.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Yup ammonia burn, get some seachem prime, its a water conditioner that turns ammonia nitrite and nitrate into less harmful forms for 36 hours and won't effect your beneficial bacteria

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Should I also throw in some ammonia neutralizer, or would that be a bad idea with how sensitive and vulnerable he is?

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Thanks for the advice Buffalo, just ran to Petco and picked up a bottle. Should I add some, let it sit for a bit, and then do a water change, or should I not do a water change afterwards?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I would do a small water change like 5-10 ga very carefully as not to stress the TSN too much and add the amount for the full tank to the water change water. For example I run a hose to a cooler to a hand pump that's for bilging out boats to get the water from cooler to tank but I treat the water in the cooler as to not expose the fish to chlorine at all. Also some melafix and pimafix if the prime doesn't help much soon, its not for fixing the fish but the water so those 2 are options that may help. I don't know much about treating ammonia burn specifically but I've healed some seriously injured by fighting fish to full health with that.

Also keep doing small partial water changes and adding the prime once every couple days at least. As to not stress the TSN too much.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store