Help! My whole tank has clear stringy poop!!!!!

DustinGerard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
Louisiana
The tank I have is a 55 gallon, running off of two magnum 350 canisters. Readings are:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 8.2

I managed to catch a picture of my acara with this strange mix of clear poop, along with brown poop at the end. Sorry for the picture quality. I am on day two of a mix of Seachem metro/Epsom Salt added to their food in the morning (all my fish appear very healthy and are eating fine). Then at night i feed them again with food soaked in just an Epsom salt solution. I plan on using the Epsom salt for 5 days like this and the Metro for 7 days total. Is this the proper plan of action for this problem or is something else causing this? Im worried these internal parasites will stunt the growth of the entire tank and slowly waste away my fish.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Use the metro and keep the tank vacuumed and the water clean and do frequent water changes. This is caused by poor water quality and is often very hard to cure. Luckily they haven't stopped eating yet. maybe you caught it in time.

DustinGerard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
Louisiana
Tommorow is my last day using metro and all the fish dont seem to have white poop anymore except the acara....i think it may have been from frozen bloodworms (which i will no longer feed them just in case). Do you think this is normal when using metro? To me after 6 days, the symptoms should have cleared! The poop isnt stringy however, its just white. Possible from an algae wafer maybe?

DustinGerard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
Louisiana
Its been an hour with white poop hanging. Could this even mean constipation? Ive been overfeeding to make sure they get enough medicine so maybe thats causing it....id hope so honestly because that easier to fix than some crazy parasite that isnt cured by metro (or prazipro which i tried before this twice)

DustinGerard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
Louisiana
Ok i woke up and the white poop was gone and gave the last dose of metro just now and 30 minutes the following picture is what i saw. His belly is not bloated so its leading me to believe its still parasites! I will try peas tonight. Anyone have an input on if this is 100% a parasite that needs a different type of medicine? I dont have access to much medicine around here from my LFS other than metro and prazipro

DustinGerard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
Louisiana
I was originally soaking foor in a mix of metro and Epsom salt. 7 days of metro AM and Epsom salt AM and PM. Do you think its safe to feed them salt after all of that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store