My first salt setup

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I've been keeping freshwater for almost 8 years and now I'm getting into saltwater. I'm starting off with a 55. I would like to keep soft coral with some fish like a snowflake eel and some others I'm not sure of yet. My question is, I have a skimmer that world run on a 125 and two 70g hang-off the back filter. I also have 30 lbs of live rock and will be getting more. Do I really need the 2 h.o.t.b filters, it's it too much to were its unnecessary? Will add pics when water clears up, thank you!

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Any help?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I'd keep them becuz morays put out a lot of waste and will kick up a lot of debris when they swim around so the more mechanical filtration the better. I'd also put a powerhead in there just to add some sideways current so that all the softies get some flow.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Ok so you think the skimmer alown wouldn't be enough? I was told the live rock and the skimmer would be plenty but every one has their own opinions

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
The live rock would be the main supplier of bio bacteria and the skimmer is good for dissolved nutrients but it can't pick up the heavier particles that would be floating around and they really don't supply that much flow. You would be fine with 1 hob for mechanical filtration but I'd still add a powerhead to add more flow. Even though majority of softies like low flow, others such as toadstools like higher flow because they shed their outer skin off occasionally and use the flow to shed it off. Since you have the lighting for softies, you'll probably be getting some LPS as well which rely on current to bring them food as well as the lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Hobs will be good for adding 02 to the system, one is good enuff. As stated above side to side flow is what you want. 2x 250gph powerheads in tank on either side will be enuff for softies.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Bump

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I find your system a tad small for a snow flake.

Is the live rock cured and " populated "?

Davis102613

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2013
USA
My first SW setup was a 55 with a 125 skimmer, 65 lbs of live rock, 2 60 gallon HOB's, and 2 200 GPH powerheads so I was pretty much where you were, even living in Ohio. I checked out a snowflake as one of my first choices, but they make a terrible mess, and bio-load gets pushed so I passed on it. If you do go with the eel keep in mind you will be doing a lot of water changes. I don't think your equipment is unnecessary, in fact I think it sounds good, but I think you should use more live rock and invest in some powerheads.

I used the powerheads for extra flow on my soft corals, it helps them get food and if nothing else it makes them sway more beautifully in the water. Good luck!

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I find your system a tad small for a snow flake.

Is the live rock cured and " populated "?
I'm not sure what's so small about it. I understand that I need more live rock and a powerhead. With the skimmer and even just one hobf, it's almost 4xs the amount go the tank! And if your talking about the tank it's self then go rip on some kid keeping rtc in their 55.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store