Time to show my spotted gar. Enjoy.

gamelovers11223

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2013
NY
Here's my beloved spotted gar. I got him a year ago at a 12" long, now he's at 17". I got him because I really liked his color pattern. Eats like a pig, loves FF shrimps. I hand feed him and sometimes get bitten when he's over excited and jumps out to get a piece of shrimp. He lets me hold him sometimes, never bites me when I do tank maintenance.
Heres some pics of gar and some of his neighbours.
Enjoy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Awesome! Gotta love ancients, gars are deff on my list of fish to keep specifically spotted

My red wolf did the same thing to me jumping for food lol still have a scar a year later

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gamelovers11223

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2013
NY
Thanks guys. I hand feed all my fish, started doing so from day one. A few months into that I started petting fish, something like a clicker training for dogs: eats a piece out of my hand - gets a petting. At first they were scared and darted away but in time got used to it and now they don't mind a friendly touch.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I used to do the same with my wolf, hand feeding a worm then petting then he started nipping at me, i think it was because my fingers vaguely resemble worms being white lol

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gamelovers11223

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2013
NY
Even though I do pet them, I have to remember they are predators with instincts. If I put my hand in before the feeding there is a 90% chance I get nipped by one of the aros and by oscar pair. After or during feeding (after every one gets at least one piece) there's virtually no chance of a bite.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I think that's a Flroida gar…

Overall, that is the most beautiful Florida gar I have ever seen.

gamelovers11223

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2013
NY
I think that's a Flroida gar…

Overall, that is the most beautiful Florida gar I have ever seen.
Thanks for the kind words. I got him as a Spotted gar, to my understanding Florida gars have a black line in the middle of their bodies. Maybe I'm wrong and gar experts will correct me but Spotted or Florida I will not like him less than before.
Behavior wise he likes to swim with the arowanas back and forth, most of the time only one way across the tank - it takes him awhile to turn around while aros just glide around effortlessly. It's hilarious watching him try to keep up with arowanas and watch him reverse out of a tight spot. Oh and he greets me as soon as I come up to the tank along with oscars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store