Hi Girls and Guys I'm new to your incredable site so be gental with me. Taoscorpio.

Taoscorpio

Feeder Fish
May 25, 2014
Australia
Wow I am so pleased and also so ashamed. Why? Well last night I was laid in bed (where I sadly spend most of my time, I broke my back 8 yrs ago). Any way I was watching an amazing program about "Monster Fish".
I nearly fell out of my bed, the program was about the absolutely marvelous Alligator Gar fish. I could hardly believe my eyes! Here was a living Fossil, an apparently the government of the USA have been trying to eliminate them for years. This morning I then tried to look up some modern research, that was when I became so saddened and ashamed.
I found a U tube site and opened it to find a guy showing his young Daughter how to clean an Alligator Gar ready to eat. This bloody Moron was merrily cutting into this poor creature whilst it was still ALIVE!!!. He eventually chops its head off at the request of his child. This Gar was only about 3 feet long but being an air breather was still very much alive and trying to escape whilst this guy was clamping its tail and slicing his way up its spine so he could cut the fillets off (all with the fish alive and kicking) his excuse was "It keeps the meat fresh". I could only watch a couple of minutes of the video.

For heavens sake I eat meat and fish but I strongly believe (and Hope) that all the food I eat is treated with humane care.
The next site I found was another mental giant showing off his catch of a massive Alligator Gar. This beautiful fish had to be 9 feet long and weigh in at about 350-390 lbs. But did he let it go? Oh no he had it hung from a crane so he could get a good picture (including his silly grin).

I believe there should be an immediate bane on the taking of any of these fish for the foreseeable future other than for proper and controlled scientific research done by marine biologists at University campuses. That this research be conducted at a high level of transparency, and only by qualified scientists.

Killing the very young Gar's will end up in the total destruction of the species. Killing the larger older Gars will end up with no living breeders left.

Yes I know I'm a new comer to your site an I'm a 60 yr old disabled pensioner from Australia who cannot move very far on my own. But people should be able to see what we have found out over here with our whale watching. Many millions of dollars can be made protecting our environment rather than destroying it.
People will pay dollars to see the creature that time forgot, look at the coelacanth, now a star attraction in India. People pay thousands to go down in mini subs to see these living fossils, creatures that float head down in deep water. A whole new industry that would ensure the protection of this species could be developed.

Love to all and yes you may contact me if you want. Kindest regards Tao

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
There is conservation programs going on, with them being introduced to a river system in Illinois and settling well. They were caught in the south as they've been eliminated in the north so there was concern about them adapting. Especially with them being the only native predator able to eat large silver carp which are an invasive pest I feel more conservation and re introduction to their native range should and will happen.

Welcome!

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store