Florida Gar question

Chevyhobo12

Feeder Fish
May 25, 2014
Florida
Hello, I am new to the site and I have a question about my Florida spotted gar. He's just over 7 inches long and living in a 75 gallon tank for now. I've just recently got a 13" freshwater moray eel. I've done some research on the eel and found that they're more comfortable living in brackish water with salinity levels around 1.005 to 1.010. I was just wondering if this would be too salty for the gar. Ive never added salt before to my tank so I'm still trying to understand it. There's also a 3 inch tiger Oscar, and a sun catfish in the tank. Would they be okay too? If not what would be a suitable salinity the gar and others to be in? Some salt is better than none for the eel.

gamelovers11223

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2013
NY
I add salt once a week (every water change) and my gar is ok with it, so as every other fish in the tank.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I think your gar can survive. I have added 6-7 cups of salt to my 180 gallon tank, not sure what salinity that is though and my gars are also Tropicals not Floridas

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You may have to slowly acclimate them as u add salt to the tank. I would suggest that u don't need to get the salinity that low. Can always be above that a bit and so the other fish can meet the eels at a happy medium. They're brackish but if the salinity is off a bit it should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So just gradually introduce salt until the salinity reaches 1.010 and once it's there all of my fish should be just fine?
Yea that's the idea. I would do it really slow like a bit per week or couple of days and give them some time to adjust. I would go very slow and that's just me. I'm sure u want it sooner but I'm thinking of the fish. U don't need to hit 1.010 exact. It can be a bit above that so ur fish can be at a happy medium. Please also note that not all fish will tolerate this and so I can't say with 100% certainty they'll be ok. This is the best way IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chevyhobo12

Feeder Fish
May 25, 2014
Florida
I'm going to try and get it as close to 1.010 as I can. Would having a pleco in that salinity hurt him? I've read elsewhere that plecos get easily irrateted by salt. With this low of a salinity hurt him? Or should I still just go about slowly introducing salt and watch his behavior?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store