Please critique my filtration plan for my new tank!

fish_chick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2013
SC
I'm setting up a 120 gallon that will eventually hold an Oscar, a pleco, and possible some giant danios. The only fish of these I currently have is the pleco. He was a rescue who lived in a 10 gallon with essentially no water changes for 2 years and is about 5-6 inches long. I realize he may one day get too big to share the 120 with an Oscar (though I also wonder if he is stunted and may not get huge). If that happens I will gladly get a bigger tank for him. Anyway, I plan to set up an overflow that goes into a trickle filter (like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJB...maaz5-CO-M0O7MzldTzRRhn&feature=share&index=6) that sits in a smaller aquarium with a pump to take the clean water back up and into the tank. I prefer the DIY approach as much as I can to save on cost where possible. But if something is important to spend more on, I don't mind. I also like the idea of the trickle filter vs a canister filter (which I have on another tank) b/c of the ease of cleaning the mechanical media.

1) The guy at my LFS store told me with those fish I'd need about 10 times the tank in GPH, so about 1000 GPH in the pump. Does this sound right?

2) If that is correct, IS it best to have 1 pump that can do 1000 GPH, or 2 pumps that can do 500 GPH? I'm not super concerned about the cost difference as I have a long time to get this going.

3) Guy at LFS (who is pretty knowledgeable) mentioned I would need a powerhead. I didn't think to ask why. IS this to increase current in the tank? Would the current produced by the water going back into the tank not be enough?

Thank you so much, and please tell me what I can do to improve because I want these fish to be healthy! Thanks!

anibalvti

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2012
Dominican Republic
You are good to go plans sound good i dont think u need the powerhead w a 1000gph pump and try to drill the tank is better than overflows

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk App

Strohs58

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2009
Colorado
It never hurts to have a 2nd source of surface agitation, just in case your main filter fails. Last night when I checked my 90g heavily stocked African cichlid tank there was no output from the spray bar on my canister. No harm no foul as the sump was still running and the fish were fine, depending on how long it was down, if it was the only filter I probably would have had fish loss.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
you basically want 2 kinds of filters in your tank, first is a mech filter, sponges are in the category along with HoB, you looking for 10x on those. AC110 best out there IMHO, they also serve as Bio filters but not there best use. Canisters or sumps your next type, they are better bio filters. looking for 5x GPH, they are bio filters, and while they also do some mech filtration they are not your best mech filtration do to lower GPH and harder to clean, you run both will have less cleaning on your canister or sumps and crystal clear water. and great nitrogen cycle turn over.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I run a combo of all on my tanks.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Sump would be good if your tank comes with overflows. Dont forget about head loss when calculating pump size because any restrictions will reduce flow including vertical feet of lift and any inline attachments like heaters or UV. Powerhead will add more flow and move poo off the bottom into the water column where it can get pulled into your sump. Not sure what was trying to be said in a previous post about drilling to not lose siphon, it needs to lose siphon or a power loss will drain your tank. Sounds like you found the rare lfs guy who has an idea about what he is talking about. Good job

fish_chick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2013
SC
Yes that is one reason I liked the overflow, to avoid the power outage risk. Brich999, yeah this guy works at what I consider the LFS which is a Petco. He's very knowledgeable and a great resource. He runs an local aquarium forum as well. The only good independent fish store is mainly salt..the other is so bad I'd absolutely buy a fish from Walmart before them. So even though people are down on Petco around here, this one is great. Though o only go in if he's there, no one else knows anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store