Good filtration for 300 Gallon?

Young_Fish_Keeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2014
San Antonio, Tx.
Thinking about buying a 300 gallon tank, comes with a 58 Gallon Wet/Dry filtration system, do you think this is enough to filter the whole tank or will i need additional filtration? Any feedback helps! thanks!

professor_rob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
My 650gallon tank was originally filtered by only a 90gallon wet dry filter, it was more than enough.

It will be hard to give you an accurate answer. As there are plenty of variables.

What is the total turn over, sump style, media, filter socks? Etc.

I ended up adding an FX5 just as additional mech and a bit of contingency. Started using filter socks, which I highly recommend you use to help with mechanical filtration.

I also added an auto water changer so my parameters are perfect across the board nitrates 0ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

professor_rob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks.

Does your wet dry look similar? It is a pretty good design. I only have about 4x turnover which is why I wanted the fx5 to help mechanical filtration. Higher turnover is better for mechanical filtration. Wet dry sump is primarily for bio filtration and doesn't need a super high turnover. Could get away with 3-4x depending on design. Though clarity won't be as good but parameters should be fine with regular water changes. Post a pic of the sump.

I am looking at increasing my turnover a little with an extra sump pump to bring it to about 5x turnover.

Either way I do recommend an auto water changer.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Young_Fish_Keeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2014
San Antonio, Tx.
Pending on buying it, still not mine but exact pics of the filter from the seller, could i ask how much of a water change do you do and how often? Thanks!

Young_Fish_Keeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2014
San Antonio, Tx.
How did you get your tank to do automatic W/C? I've seen it and heard about it before, but never really looked into it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store