Does my Arowana have drop eye?

blkdrgn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2010
Hawaii
I can't remember how long ago we got it but we've had it since it was about 5". Now it's about 18". We were told to feed it Smelt but it always sinks to the bottom. Do you think some type of floating food would be better? Our bottom fish needs to eat too but our Aro always goes to the bottom to steal it. Also it looks like it's turning a little yellow. Do you think that's a problem? I have the lights off most of the time if that matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INeRx24rcdc&feature=youtu.be

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Yes your Aro has DE and this won't be curable.
To get the reddish tint include more red market prawns in his diet.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
afraid so, but show me a large silver in an aquarium without it in at least one eye...

this might help copy and pasted from yahoo answers

The whole issues with fatty deposits beneath the eyes coming from feeder fish has not been proven yet. Or even the fact that these fatty deposits cause droop eye.

There is a few reasons that can cause droop eye and ill tell you now how to get rid of it properly.

Causes being looked at.
1. Not all arowanas get drop eye so it might be down to genetics in the fish.
2. Your fish could be looking down alot and his eyes are starting to pull or droop. Usually due to looking at his own reflection.
3. It might be his diet. But this has not been proven at all.
4. Natural wild arowanas don't seem to have problems with droop eye so it might be down to the tank environment.

These 4 issues are what is being looked into and researched at the minute. There is no Evidence leaning towards away, so i don't know where the other answers are getting there information from.

Right now to the good part. I have had to deal with arowanas with droop eye over the years and i'll tell you how to help your arowana.
1. Make sure that the bottom of your tank is covered in stones, to cut down on reflection's. Arowanas are noisy and will watch whatever moves even there own reflection.
2. Cover the sides of your tank with paper or card board so that the arowana has nothing to see and will be forced to look up. This will help to reverse the drooped eye.
3. Place 2 or 3 ping pong balls on the surface of the water. As they float around the arowana will watch the balls and his eyes will be drawn up wards.

Over the years of dealing with arowanas i have come across only 3 arowanas with droop eye and i have cured it using these methods. They do work.

Hope this helps you and good luck with your fish.If you use this few tips you will start to see results in a few weeks. You just didnt say how bad the droop eye is right now.

BTW here is an article from a respected arowana breeder and dealer that i know.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Arowana-Fish--...

blkdrgn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2010
Hawaii
Are silvers supposed to have a reddish tint? Also do I need to have the lights on to get rid of the dull look?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
afraid so, but show me a large silver in an aquarium without it in at least one eye...

this might help copy and pasted from yahoo answers

The whole issues with fatty deposits beneath the eyes coming from feeder fish has not been proven yet. Or even the fact that these fatty deposits cause droop eye.

There is a few reasons that can cause droop eye and ill tell you now how to get rid of it properly.

Causes being looked at.
1. Not all arowanas get drop eye so it might be down to genetics in the fish.
2. Your fish could be looking down alot and his eyes are starting to pull or droop. Usually due to looking at his own reflection.
3. It might be his diet. But this has not been proven at all.
4. Natural wild arowanas don't seem to have problems with droop eye so it might be down to the tank environment.

These 4 issues are what is being looked into and researched at the minute. There is no Evidence leaning towards away, so i don't know where the other answers are getting there information from.

Right now to the good part. I have had to deal with arowanas with droop eye over the years and i'll tell you how to help your arowana.
1. Make sure that the bottom of your tank is covered in stones, to cut down on reflection's. Arowanas are noisy and will watch whatever moves even there own reflection.
2. Cover the sides of your tank with paper or card board so that the arowana has nothing to see and will be forced to look up. This will help to reverse the drooped eye.
3. Place 2 or 3 ping pong balls on the surface of the water. As they float around the arowana will watch the balls and his eyes will be drawn up wards.

Over the years of dealing with arowanas i have come across only 3 arowanas with droop eye and i have cured it using these methods. They do work.

Hope this helps you and good luck with your fish.If you use this few tips you will start to see results in a few weeks. You just didnt say how bad the droop eye is right now.

BTW here is an article from a respected arowana breeder and dealer that i know.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Arowana-Fish--...
:duh:

KiZZLe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
USA
IMO... Feeding arowana any fatty foods will cause the eye to drop. They are not designed to eat fish. I'm sure they can, but they prefers to hunt insects, amphibian, small birds and reptiles, which are all high in protein and low in fat. Most carnivore pellets are very fatty, so be careful of how much food you are feeding to your arowana. Try to let the arowana digest or burn off some of its food before the next feeding. If you keep an arowana, a strong current is a must. Strong currents in your aquarium will also help the arow to burn calories from high fatty foods. This way, the body will burn the fat instead of storing it. In the wild, arowanas doesn't eat everyday and they swim constantly all day searching for food. IMO... That's why it's very rare to see any drop eye with wild arowana. Just like anything else in this world, if you eat too much without any exercising you will become fat. We as humans stores fat mainly around our bellies and arowana stores it behind their eyes. Remember, this is just my own humble opinion and my from my own experience from keeping my arowana eyes from dropping. I feed mine only insects, frogs and lizards. This has been working for me, so I hope this helps. Happy fish keeping.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KiZZLe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
USA
I have a bunch of bottom feeder like bichir and giraffe catfish in my tank with my arowana. No drop eye. Low in fat and high in protein food is the key IMO

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
Not sure how true this is but i have read that some people have put there arows in very murky water tanks and they don't get drop eye/ or has cured drop eye. like i said i have only read this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store