Cycling tank with a filter from an existing tank

Marauder225

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2011
New jersey
So I'm setting up my 125 this weekend since I had some time off. It has a fluval fx6 and fluval 406 canister filters that I'm going to run as the filtration. To help with cycling I put my ac110 from my 75 gallon tank on the 125. I still have a 406 running on my 75z How long do I need to wait for the bacteria to colonize the 406 and fx6. Just trying to know when I can return the ac110 to my 75. Thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
It varies, but generally a month runtime on a cycled tank should be about all it will need, clean nothing( media) and it should be cycled or close.....

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because you have a filter that is already seeded to run on the tank, a few fish could be added right away, but not an entire tankful.
I believe you "need" to add some fish right away to keep the filter seeded, unless using straight ammonia.

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
I would've done a couple of gold fish for about week then if your water parameters are good you can start adding your fish every 2-3 days. Goldfish are cheap and also create a lot of waste. I've always done this method along with taking fish water from my other tank into my new one. Also taking the filter to.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Marauder225

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2011
New jersey
I would've done a couple of gold fish for about week then if your water parameters are good you can start adding your fish every 2-3 days. Goldfish are cheap and also create a lot of waste. I've always done this method along with taking fish water from my other tank into my new one. Also taking the filter to.

The goldfish Idea would have worked as we'll I'm sure but I really don't want to end up with goldfish in the tank I've had issues with feeders in the past not being eaten and currently have a comet goldfish around 7 or 8 inches in a tank with my turtles and don't want anymore goldfish to take care of

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
The goldfish Idea would have worked as we'll I'm sure but I really don't want to end up with goldfish in the tank I've had issues with feeders in the past not being eaten and currently have a comet goldfish around 7 or 8 inches in a tank with my turtles and don't want anymore goldfish to take care of

Not to keep. Once I was done adding a few fish here and there I would take it back to the lfs. No need to keep them.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
I have always had good luck with taking seeded sponge filters from my other tanks and ringing them out in my new filters bio media.

Marauder225

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2011
New jersey
Not to keep. Once I was done adding a few fish here and there I would take it back to the lfs. No need to keep them.

Oh I got ya. The idea of taking them back to the lfs after the tank cycled never even crossed my mind and that would have been the easiest option lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store