Sick Ball Python

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
Hi everyone ... not an expert on snakes, stick more with the fish, but have a friend who is having issues with their 2 Ball Pythons ... They are between 2 and 3 feet, and havent been eating ... i know snakes can go a long time without eating, but its been a couple months of them ignoring mice, which is not their normal behavior ... i didnt see it, but they told me they seem to foam from the mouth sometimes, and i did notice one actually scraping his face on some wood in the tank like his gums itched ... also one is shedding, but its not coming off cleanly, another sign of stress ... They have a heat lamp on the tank, but this time of year their house is hot, and wasnt sure if maybe 90 plus degrees is too hot for them, cause looking at the tank i bet thats the temp, but it gets cooler at night .... i dont know, just trying to do them a favor by asking .... i'd say the tank is too small, but not rediculously small, its like a 40 gallon breeder ... any thoughts from the reptile community?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Check the humidity. Likely too low. Also ball pythons stop eatting for no reason from time to time..

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Definitely too low of humidity if they're not shedding properly. Tell your friend to soak the 1 that's shedding in some warm water so that it can get the shed off and raise the humidity. Can you get pics of the tank? Does it just have a screen top? If so, they need to cover at least 3/4 of it with plastic wrap or tinfoil and ditch the heat bulb and go with a radiant heat bulb or under tank heater instead . Heat bulbs dry out the enclosure too fast causing the air to be extremely dry. Are there hides? How big of a water bowl is there? Them going off feed is normal during the winter but not really during the summer. Just find out as much info about the setup as you can

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
... i didnt see it, but they told me they seem to foam from the mouth sometimes, and i did notice one actually scraping his face on some wood in the tank like his gums itched ...
Djaalix

To me this indicates one of 2 things (or both): Respiratory infection (RI) and/or stomatitis (mouth rot). If it is a mild IR, keeping them warmer and reducing the humidity"might" solve the issue; if it is a stomatitis or a stronger RI, only antibiotics will solve the issue (baytril or other broad spectrum).
If they are kept in the same enclosure (not good...) both have to be treated regardless which one shows more symptoms.
If the temperatures fluctuates a lot from day to night, that is not good also and very complicated for BP´s.

So, they should be checked by a vet asap to presribe the AB.

IMO shedding issues are the least of the problems.
Hope that helps

Brooklynella

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
LI, NY
Joao is correct. If the foam from the mouth is clear/colorless the snakes have a cold. Go to any pet store and buy TC tablets and disolve in a small water dish (Aprox 2 cups). Remove their usual water dish from the enclosure. do this every other day until you are out of tablets (I think they generally 8-10 tablets).
Stabilize the temperature; Think about how you are heating the environment and make sure it's up to par.
Do not handle the snakes during treatment. dont worry about the shedding issue, this has nothing to do with the problem.

vildotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
San Diego, CA
Joao's explanation sounds correct. Best thing to do is take them in and get treatment going at a reputable herp vet. INCREASING the humidity however will help to break up mucous. I know, it sounds counterintuitive but snakes cannot properly expel the sticky mucous that are symptoms of URI. Dehydration doesn't help these sick snakes either. Some vets prefer nebulizing antibiotics with a humidifying nebulizer. Others will recommend an injectable antibiotic course while still others will recommend oral antibiotics because injectables occasionally cause tissue death in injection site. Hope this helps. Just get your friend to take them in to a vet.

Edit: Upon the raising humidity part of my comment. Increase the humidity if it is drastically low. I'm only assuming that, its very low due to your high temps and use of a heat lamp.

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
I will relay the information, hopefully they can get them back to health ... thank you so much everyone, just amazing how within a day so many people from this community reach out and help ... thank you guys

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store