Epoxy vs Pond liner

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Been doing some research and was thinking of doing the pond liner in a plywood build but I don't like the seal factor around the window not to say it doesn't work. I like the cost factor of the liner but I think for what its worth the fiber glass corners with Pond armor or like is the better route. What do you guys think. I'm in no way putting down the pond liner just want to do it in a way that will be mentally satisfied :)

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
I would think the cost factor would be less on epoxy, a 1 gallon kit of max acr which gave me 7 coats on my 500 gallon was only just a tad over $100. I can't imagine a liner being less even on a build twice my size. Besides, fiberglass+epoxy seems as strong as steel especially on a reinforced plywood tank. I would never use pond armor, ever...

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I was under the impression pond armor, shield was the best route?

So normal solvent based epoxy is fine? I am a Painter and get good pricing on epoxy I would also be spraying it through my airless.
I guess a marine grade epoxy would be just fine.
There are also some very good water based epoxys available now.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
No, not all epoxies are fine. Make sure it is food grade whatever its called, not coming to me atm :) Pond armor is very difficult to work with, is Very expensive and people have had issues with ut cracking. Max acr was an absolute dream to work with, was fairly cheap, can be colored to w/e you want, went on easily and has lasted for 2 years so far in my 500 without 1 single issue and that's with me climbing in and out of the tank for cleaning and whatnot. This is coming from someone who had never used epoxy for anything till this build.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store