Low Maintenance Fish For a 15

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I picked up four tanks in the last month and I gave a 15 gallon to my grandma since she's been wanting one since I got into the hobby. She used to be in the hobby in her 20's and 30's but she has been out of it since and she's learned a lot from me but she still isn't extremely knowledgeable about it. But I'd love to see her back into the hobby so I'm helping her setup the tank. Now this is at her house obviously and she doesn't want to be doing twice weekly water changes and feeding thawed foods. I told her I'd come over once a week to do water changes and change filter pads for her though. She doesn't know exactly what fish she wants but I know she loves fancy guppies and Corydoras so were building the tank around them. She also would like plants but VERY hardy ones please, something anybody can grow even in low light, low nutrients, and won't die when there's a slight ammonia spike. She also doesn't believe in pre-cycling tanks even though I go on rants about it all the time so I might pack it with java moss as well to take out a lot a lot of ammonia while cycling. I want to start the tank with just a couple very hardy fish and I'll start adding more fish after it's established about one month after setup.

So what would be a good stock to have, plants, substrate for growing plants, etc?

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I picked up four tanks in the last month and I gave a 15 gallon to my grandma since she's been wanting one since I got into the hobby. She used to be in the hobby in her 20's and 30's but she has been out of it since and she's learned a lot from me but she still isn't extremely knowledgeable about it. But I'd love to see her back into the hobby so I'm helping her setup the tank. Now this is at her house obviously and she doesn't want to be doing twice weekly water changes and feeding thawed foods. I told her I'd come over once a week to do water changes and change filter pads for her though. She doesn't know exactly what fish she wants but I know she loves fancy guppies and Corydoras so were building the tank around them. She also would like plants but VERY hardy ones please, something anybody can grow even in low light, low nutrients, and won't die when there's a slight ammonia spike. She also doesn't believe in pre-cycling tanks even though I go on rants about it all the time so I might pack it with java moss as well to take out a lot a lot of ammonia while cycling. I want to start the tank with just a couple very hardy fish and I'll start adding more fish after it's established about one month after setup.

So what would be a good stock to have, plants, substrate for growing plants, etc?
I would just do shrimp or a betta, Java fern, some moss and a fine gravel substrate.

If you got the plants frowning well you probably wouldn't even need a WC every week, especially with shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I would just do shrimp or a betta, Java fern, some moss and a fine gravel substrate.

If you got the plants frowning well you probably wouldn't even need a WC every week, especially with shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thats what I'd do but she definitely wants guppies at least.

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Since its only a 15, just keep it simple. Have a group of cories and a group of fancy guppies. Low light plants like java moss and anubias

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

7Jason

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Toronto ON CAN
3 guppies 3 dwarf corydoras 1-2 java ferns maybe 2-3 amano shrimp, java moss, anubias nana and some other plant and if you want a plant that covers the top of the aquaria and will grow in dim light look no further than hornwort.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I was told that hornwort is a very highlight plant by my friend (who is an aquarist at the pittsburgh aquarium).

The 3 guppy and 3 Cory combo sounds good.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
just transfer some pre-established bio media from one of your filters into hers, then after a month or so hers will be established too, with no spikes.
if it was me, I'd toss a female betta in for personality too. mine never go after guppy tails like the males might. they're good pets & will enjoy occasional guppy fry.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
just transfer some pre-established bio media from one of your filters into hers, then after a month or so hers will be established too, with no spikes.
if it was me, I'd toss a female betta in for personality too. mine never go after guppy tails like the males might. they're good pets & will enjoy occasional guppy fry.
Ill bring it up, maybe I'll have to look into a female betta for my 30 tall as well didn't know they were so mellow, just hope my female blue gourami doesn't attack her.

7Jason

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Toronto ON CAN
I was told that hornwort is a very highlight plant by my friend (who is an aquarist at the pittsburgh aquarium).

The 3 guppy and 3 Cory combo sounds good.
Not really in my opinion I have kept Hornwort with one watt a gallon (so 2 25 watt lights for a 50) and the hornwort grew from a 6 inch bundle to a 3 foot blanket in about a month or so. Since they are native they need reletively less light than your classical java fern and anubias

7Jason

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Toronto ON CAN
Ill bring it up, maybe I'll have to look into a female betta for my 30 tall as well didn't know they were so mellow, just hope my female blue gourami doesn't attack her.

Betas shouldn't be kept in anything bigger than a 20 for one. They wil get "Lost" and in the wild they have a puddle that's maybe about 4 inches deep to live in so that's why they are suitable for 5 gallon tanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store