Lighting questions - LED

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
Not sure that this is the best forum for lighting questions but I consider it part of set up - please redirect me if there is a better place. I am a little surprised by the lack of threads on the topic. I saw an amazing set up with AI Hydra lights last week. It was a reef tank. I loved first - the programmability and second - the light show that ran off of individual LEDs and did not look like a camera flash. 3 units and a controller would cost me about $1200. I've since read about Current USA set ups. Programmability is a must. I want the lights to turn on and off and to progress through cycles (sunrise, storm, sunset) on their own without a remote. My tank is a freshwater amazon with only a few large java ferns. I'm not worried about coral. Any recommendations? The Current systems are about 1/3rd the price of AI but I can't tell if they are programmable at all - some reviews suggest they have all of the functions via controller but aren't programmable. Any additional ideas?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Current has ramp timers to simulate sunrise/sunset but not sure about going in and out of modes. Their top of the line ramp timer is geard more towards salt and may have more programmability but it wasn't out yet when my normal timer died and I didn't want to wait so I haven't looked ar what exactly that model does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store