Fish Food Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
I was replying to some threads today about NLS vs Hikari and so on and so forth. I thought I would post this website link for all the fish keepers who care what food goes into their fish tanks.

http://www.oscarfish.com/fish-food-analysis.html

This document is very good and explains things very clearly. This guy also rates almost every food out there and breaks down what is good or bad about them. I've also found some reviews by him that aren't on the list of foods, I think he has added some new ones he came across later on or whatever. I personally wanted to add my favorite food review and what many "Monster" fish keepers will surely appreciate.

http://www.oscarfish.com/foods-review/xtreme-aquatics-foods.html

So hope this link is helpful I know I found it very informative. happy feeding.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting reading,the links should be stickied somewhere.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No offense to Kmuda, but his comments are those of a simple layperson, one that has no background or formal training in the science of fish nutrition, and a lot of the info found on that site is just plain incorrect. Much of the info that he posts in those reviews is also based on nothing more than pure speculation on his part, with no credible data to support any of it. Such as stating that Xtreme doesn't contain ethoxyquin, or that Hikari makes their own fish meal. Ridiculous comments from someone that truly doesn't have a clue about the pet fish food industry. Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but it is what it is. Not to mention the fact that some of the ingredient lists posted on that site are old & outdated, some over a decade old, with totally incorrect ingredient listings.

In the absence of facts, experts abound.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Comments like this bother me:
"Being a Hikari produced fish meal, we can have confidence in the nutrient and protein levels of the meal."

"While we have no way of measuring the actual quality and freshness of the meal being used, we’ll give Dianichi the benefit of the doubt, largely based upon the reputation of this food and the use of White Fish Meal, that a quality meal is utilized."

The guy does not have a clue where the various products come from but 'assumes' quality based on the name.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting indeed.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hikari makes fish food, they source out their fish meal just like every other company, they do not produce their own fish meal.

And while Kmuda may not know this, white fish meal is made from the leftover scraps from processing plants. Heads, scales, and racks. (bones)

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Who is this guy?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Which guy?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
kmuda is a hobbyist who started up his own oscar forum a few years back. I believe that his intentions were honorable and that he meant well, but unfortunately much of what he has posted in his fish food reviews in a factual manner, is anything but.

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
I guess myself not having background in the science of fish nutrition was fooled as well. I had no idea what i was reading and sharing was false. My apologies I'll take the thread down. Any other documents or reviews of fish food that are more accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store